Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open vs CO

usmc1974

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were talking about this yesterday. I will shoot open as long as I live. BUT, if CO were available when I moved to Open years ago I would have definitely gone CO.

The cost is the big issue, and it’s not just the gun, the price of high-capacity magazines and likelihood of needing a second gun as a backup have pushed the division outside of the price range of many competitors. This is one of the reasons why people were pushing so hard for Production Optics.

I switched over in 2014 and I wish it had been around a lot sooner, but the red-dots were not as reliable then as they are now…

If the division had existed 15 years ago it would struggled due to scope breakages, they still happen but the technology is getting better each year.

Most of the Open minor shooters switched to Co when the mag capacity increased.  Some switched earlier, but that was the big change.  It is really rare to see an Open minor entry now.

With the weight increase and Division changes, CO is really on par with Open, except for scoring.  $2k for a first rate CO gun vs. $4/5k or more for an Open gun is a big difference if you are planning to change Divisions.  If I were starting fresh today, it would be CO.

6 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

The cost is the big issue, and it’s not just the gun, the price of high-capacity magazines and likelihood of needing a second gun as a backup have pushed the division outside of the price range of many competitors. This is one of the reasons why people were pushing so hard for Production Optics.

I switched over in 2014 and I wish it had been around a lot sooner, but the red-dots were not as reliable then as they are now…

If the division had existed 15 years ago it would struggled due to scope breakages, they still happen but the technology is getting better each year.

exactly why i shoot open 

to separate myself from the paupers :D:D

totally kidding of course, i think now a days the only advantage for open is major scoring

I started in CO in 2019, my first year.  Moved to open spring of 2020 and not looking back.  I see the CO to Open move for quite a few folks in my area of MD/VA/NC.  

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

exactly why i shoot open 

to separate myself from the paupers :D:D

totally kidding of course, i think now a days the only advantage for open is major scoring

comp? single action trigger? open holsters? non-moving optic?  

I think the bigger 'hit' is the combined effect of PCC gaining popularity and CO loosing the rules.  The net effect is positive because it seems to be bringing more folks in to USPSA.

1 hour ago, rpm8300 said:

I think the bigger 'hit' is the combined effect of PCC gaining popularity and CO loosing the rules.  The net effect is positive because it seems to be bringing more folks in to USPSA.

that ain't positive, dude.

In my humble opinion from someone that's been there, there seems to be a progression. Aging eyes helps push shooters out of limited and production into CO. My eyes and iron sights don't play as well as they use to. Love my red dots!!! Switched to CO several years ago but have to admit, I'm seriously looking into the transition all the way to Open. CO is the cost effective transition into using optics and seeing the difference it makes, changing rules allowing longer mags, heavier guns make it more attractive. Started with a M&P Pro Core with Viper red dot to try CO and discovered LOVE it! The M&P, not so much. Currently running CZ Shadow2 with RSO after couple different optics. Love this gun and optics now. Also have a CZ TSO 40 with frame mount C-More as a fun gun but that's seriously making me play with the idea of running full Open.

Summing it up, things evolve. Use to be I saw more rich old farts were running Open cause they could afford it and eyes didn't like the open sights, at least on local and state level. Now, CO is the cost effective mid point jump to get more people interested in running optics with out spending $4k or $?? For those that love the sport and decide to stay with it and can afford it, Open is sort of an end goal.

Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, DIYguy said:

…changing rules allowing longer mags, heavier guns make it more attractive.

I think it just made it easier.

I enjoyed CO with 10 rounds, there was a high risk/reward ratio, the dot made me want to shoot faster but the reduced capacity would leave me with a standing reload if I pushed too hard. Planning the stages was fun, I understand why Production competitors enjoy their division. It’s challenging.

I could have lived with 15 rounds. But twenty-four rounds is too similar to Open, I think the main divisions work better when there are clear differences between them.

I shot Open for many years but the constant breakages and maintenance efforts started becoming an issue. You really need two in case one breaks as repair times can be weeks/months.

24 rounds for CO? Sorry but mag length limitations still have it at 20 rounds based on mm max length of the mag. I may need to go back and check the revisions made last March to CO division but I don't remember mag length extension being one of them.

Am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, DIYguy said:

24 rounds for CO? Sorry but mag length limitations still have it at 20 rounds based on mm max length of the mag. I may need to go back and check the revisions made last March to CO division but I don't remember mag length extension being one of them.

Am I missing something?

140mm mag is the limit in CO and with correct springs/extension and follower 24 is available.  23 in almost anything from stock with any extension.  Same amount of round an open guy gets in their 140mm mags.  20rds would be if you are shooting CO with .40.

I'm curious. What kind of mags are you running that at 141.25mm you are managing to load 24 rounds of 9mm and get them to feed reliably? I have TT mag extensions at max length and I can only get 20 rounds in a mag for my CZ mags. Not arguing, just curious, am I shorting myself some how?

4 hours ago, DIYguy said:

I'm curious. What kind of mags are you running that at 141.25mm you are managing to load 24 rounds of 9mm and get them to feed reliably? I have TT mag extensions at max length and I can only get 20 rounds in a mag for my CZ mags. Not arguing, just curious, am I shorting myself some how?

I know a Glock mag with a base pad to 140mm will hold 23 rounds + 1 in the chamber. Not sure about other combinations.