Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tank, my first dog

Bakerjd

Had to let my first dog go to the heavens a couple days ago. Tank was a black and chocolate lab mix and 12 years old. I got him right before me and my ex wife got married. We had been looking at getting a second dog, the first was her dog and left with her in the divorce, and we went to the shelter and he was there. The lady told us he had been returned twice and you cold tell he was just done with life at 1 years old. We took him home and he sprang to life. But damn was he hard headed. Didnt like water or playing with toys, fetch was not even close to his idea of fun. All he ever wanted was to get petted, give kisses, and be around his people. When me and the ex split he stayed with me and the other two dogs I kept. We had 4. Almost his whole life he was running around happy as a lark. Last year we had to get a abscess removed from right below his tail and didnt even faze him, although he didnt like to cone. We ended up having to get one of the donut collars. Anyways last Wednesday I head off to work at 1pm and he is all good. Get a call from my girlfriend that he is puking and heaving and wont eat or drink, VERY abnormal for him. He LOVED food. She rushed him to the vet er and I left work to meet them there. Longest hour drive of my life. By the time I got to the vet they had done the x Ray's and figured out his stomach flipped. He would need major surgery to live. He also had hip issues, but he wouldnt let you know by how he acted ever. After talking with the doctors and knowing he would never want to be forced to just lay around and not be able to run and stuff if he even did recover we decided that putting him through that pain and suffering just for us to still have him would kill his soul anyway. I knew my dog and he would have hated it. I had to make the decision to send him to heaven. I still dont know if it was right, or if I should have fought for him more. I never had to make this decision before. I dunno, I miss him. Me and him went through a lot together. Miss ya tanky! 

I'm very sorry for your loss of your friend Tank.  I'm a veterinarian in Northern Michigan and I understand how strong and deep the bond between dogs and their humans can be.  From your description it sounds like Tank had a long and fulfilled life with a family who loved and cared for him.  That's all a dog ever wants or needs.  I believe dogs are our better angels here on Earth.  Everyday I wake up and try to be the man my dog thinks I am.  It's never easy to let them go. But, I believe it is the last kind thing we can do at the end of their journey.  Please know you have my deepest sympathy.  

It sounds like you gave Tank the only gift that really matters. To know he belonged and mattered. It’s never easy but it’s the final act of love to let him go in peace. You’ll see him again at the rainbow bridge.

Its always hard man, I feel you.
Had to say goodbye to our family buddy two weeks ago at age 11.  We rescued him 9 years ago.  In a 4 day span he went from being happy and seemingly healthy to not eating or keeping any water down.  After a few trips to the vet with tests over a few days we found he had a rare and aggressive cancer and the only humane option was to let him go.  
My daughter is 7, she's never known life without her buddy.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 9:41 PM, Malarky112 said:

Its always hard man, I feel you.
Had to say goodbye to our family buddy two weeks ago at age 11.  We rescued him 9 years ago.  In a 4 day span he went from being happy and seemingly healthy to not eating or keeping any water down.  After a few trips to the vet with tests over a few days we found he had a rare and aggressive cancer and the only humane option was to let him go.  
My daughter is 7, she's never known life without her buddy.

Damn man sorry to here. 

you did what you needed to do for HIM.  tough decision  but it was right. I know of that kind of pain.

let time heal you knowing he rests in peace

petfinders.com is available  when the time is right to rescue another new friend for life

• 8 months later...

So sorry for your loss.  Never easy to make a hard decision like that about a member of your family.  Had to make a similar decision a few years ago about a 10 year old Black Lab that was a member of our family.  It took about a year before we could make the decision to get another dog.  Hope you enjoy all those great memories!