Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powders for 10mm loads

S&W686

I picked up a Glock 20 Gen 4 last week and have been able to find a little bit of ammo for the gun.  I do want to start reloading 10mm and wondering what powders all of you find to be the best for 10mm.  It is difficult to find powder at this time, but would like to get an idea what would be the best to pick up when available.  At this time the only two powders I have available are VV N320 and HP-38.  Thanks for any information you can offer.

You can load lighter shooting loads (basically .40 S&W) with those fast powders but need to get a slower burn rate powder for the heavier loads. Like many people I use Longshot for most of my full power loads as it is a ball type powder that meters well in my Dillon's and gives good velocity/power. I have also seem others that like Blue dot powder and also AA#7 is great for full power 10mm. I still like 800X for my top loads but I use a chargemaster to meter the powder since it is like loading cornflakes. 

The HP38 will work good on lighter target/practice loads. I have loaded some 165’s and 170’s with Win 244 which is pretty close to 231/HP38 and they shoot good. They are running around 1050. For full power stuff #9 gives me better accuracy than longshot. The 800X works good but is discontinued. 

Edited by Farmer
Sp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have run WST in lighter lead 10mm loads with 200 gr. coated bullets with no problems.  I use WST is most of my cast bullet loads of various calibers. As long as you are not trying to push them too hard, WST is a great powder that burns clean.

I’m using 3n37 for my loads now. I’ll be trying some #9 when I find some for testing.

im using hornady 180xtp bullets 8.0 3n37 at 1.260 oal. I loaded some lpp and spp so far.

chrono was averaging 1,087fps.

Hope this helps in anyway!

I’ve got a 10mm Para Elite Hunter Longslide (6”). I’ve only tested two powder flavors - Longshot and Blue Dot. 

The two loads I liked the best are below.

7.5gr Longshot - Avg velocity of 1227 with 9 SD. (10 shot string)

8.6gr Bluedot - Avg velocity 1195 with a 11 SD. (10 shot string)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...