Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP 9 round mags

glocklover

How much of a disadvantage would it be to run 9 round mags in ESP? I always shoot to slide lock. I want to shoot my 40 S&W Kimber in ESP. I've tried to run 10 round mags and they are not reliable.

Depends on the MD.  The place I shoot the most these days, CCP is popular at 8+1 and he doesn't put a popper activating a mover as the 8th or 9th shot.  So you should be ok at 9+1 at a place like that.  I have a set of 9 round .45 magazines for .45 ESP that work ok there.  Might have to dump a round every now and then.  Or you get somebody unimaginative and you nearly always have five double tap targets and can reload on the transition to the sixth.  That used to be cited a lot before the magazine makers got the bugs out of 10X9mm mags.  

On the other hand, you could get an IPSC lite MD setting up a lot of 18 round stages that would leave you with only one shot in reserve and no choice on the reload.  I know one of those, too.  I don't take my 9x.45 rig there, even though that is where JoeD and I worked out the requirements for a 9 round .45 magazine that fit The Box. 

All that is left you is to Shoot The Gun.

Edited by Jim Watson

I ran 9 round mags for several years in a Bear P2 9mm. Never seen a dis advantage doing so unless you get that one MD does like Jim mentioned ..SO’s questioned me a couple times thinking I was using 10 rounders..

• 9 months later...

I ran my Trojan 40 single stack for ESP a few times.

A LOT easier to make a mag change with my Eagle, compared to the single stack

Edited by RH45

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

No.

Covered in the rules; load to division capacity OR the maximum capacity of your gun if it holds fewer rounds.

If you have one 9 round and two 10 round magazines, load all with 9.   

Awesome. Thank you.