Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd shaped fired primers?

DIYguy

I always sort my brass for head stamp and been doing it for years. When I get enough of a particular brand I run batches of that brass. As part of the sorting/inspection process run into a lot of different issues that will cause a case to go in the scrap jar. Tonight while sorting I ran in to some brass with odd shaped primers. I've run into similar in the past and ignored it. Tonight got curious and decided to ask. The primers look like they have an area around where the firing pin strike would be that looks like a raised mound. In looking closely at the four examples I found they look like they came from the same gun, three CBC, one RMI brand but I would say same gun. To my thinking, in order for the primer to have this shape the chamber face would need to have a depressed pit around the firing pin to make this kind of shape. Wondering what would case this damage to a fire arm, is this a correct assessment or other? Including an image for review, any input from the group?

207877845_Firedprimers.jpg.d734b61a710eec03ec68538847352692.jpg

I’ve picked some up like that too and not just pistol. It’s like the primers are seated deep and don’t back out when fired, they just bulge out in the center. Are the CBC’s staked? They don’t look like it from the pic. 

48 minutes ago, AHI said:

You do realize those are crimped in primers. It is normal.

Crimped 9mm primers?????

Three different brands, exact same circle dome, looks like same gun from range brass. Same brands from normal gun, normal looking primers, ten power magnification, no, they are NOT crimped.

6 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

Hard to tell from this angle, but looks like a typical case fired out of a Beretta 92/M9.

They all have that funny look, just like Glock brass is very recognizable. 

This has my curiosity regarding the Baretta. Can't think of any of my friends that shoot that Baretta to check but interesting. Know what you mean about Glocks, they are known for the "Glock bulge" and they are the only pistol that I am aware of that has a rectangular firing pin. Very unique primer dimple.

i had understood that the "Glock bulge" had to do with the case head that expanded such that the sizer die could not totally iron it out.  Thus the various roll sizers and push through sizers.  Nothing to do with the primer that I have heard.

9 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

Hard to tell from this angle, but looks like a typical case fired out of a Beretta 92/M9.

Yep,  very obviously fired in a Beretta. The Border Patrol used to shoot Berettas and all the .40 brass looked like this.   

Regarding the Beretta's and primer shape, yesterday made a quick trip to the range to test some first time loads for a new CZ TSO I picked up. Got to chatting with the only only other shooter at the range and he was talking about his Beretta he was shooting. This brought up this post and discussion about the odd shape of the fired primers and his experience. We picked up a couple of his brass off the concrete and sure enough, a very similar although  not as pronounced bulged shape on the primer.

Kudos to the guys that called out the Beretta's, looks like you're right!

On 5/21/2021 at 1:25 AM, xrayfk05 said:

I did not notice before, now I will have to look when I shoot my 92..lol

I don't know if it makes a difference or not regarding the primmer shape but I think the guy I was talking with was shooting a Baretta M9, brand new so out getting use to it.