Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest DA trigger for S&W 625 with moon clips?

Cherokeewind

On 5/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, Toolguy said:

Make sure that the firing pin is at least .500 long.

A "good" factory pin will measure around .495 and have a rounded tip, and those work just fine.  Unfortunately, NOS "good" pins are difficult to locate these days.  To get a pin any longer than .495, you must venture into the aftermarket pins, and have to deal with their long and sordid history of sudden breakage.     

On 5/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, revoman said:

In all my revolvers I run 6 to 6 1/2 lbs and all still have the original firing pin. Never have measured the length but they go bang every time with Federal primers. The reason for the 6 to 6 1/2 lbs as when I would go lighter I would find myself short stroking. To me when in competition I could not tell the difference between 4 1/2 to 5 over the 6 to 6 1/2 I run. 

7 hours ago, Carmoney said:

You, and everybody else.  

You know I was talking about revolver shooting don't you. 🤣🤣🤣

I shot my 625 this weekend in a match. A lot of fun shooting 6 shot, and switching over to large pistol primers helps my small pistol primer inventory. 100% for the function of the 625 and great accuracy. Got it from Carmoney years back. Thanks Mike!

• 3 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 1:06 PM, Carmoney said:

A "good" factory pin will measure around .495 and have a rounded tip, and those work just fine.  Unfortunately, NOS "good" pins are difficult to locate these days.  To get a pin any longer than .495, you must venture into the aftermarket pins, and have to deal with their long and sordid history of sudden breakage.     

Any idea what alloy S&W uses?  Do you think the aftermarket f4acture issues are a lack of proper ht or a less ideal alloy?  For such a small piece not overly complex machining it would seem they could use one for the much tougher high Impact resistant alloys.  

Edited by tim_w