Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help a Newbie understand the class system.

gdc2506

Okay, newbie and mathematically challenged.

I am C class

I know that we shoot each stage 5 times and the best 4 count.  That I've got.

But...  After each stage the score keeper would tell me that I shot a C round or even once I shot a B round.

I guess my real question is, what kind of time do I need to acquire to get to Class B?  After that A and so on?

I saw a post in here with mathematical equations of what each class takes, but that might as well have been written in Latin.

In my 3rd ever steel challenge shoot I have the following scores...  Maybe these can be used to give me an example?

This was RFRO

Time:  87.87

%:  100

SC-101 (Five to go: 15.36

SC-102 (Showdown): 14.36

SC-103 (Smoke and Hope): 14.11 (Not proud of this by the way)

SC-106 (Pendulum): 15.36

SC-107 (Speed Option): 16.75

SC-108 (Roundabout):  11.93

Edited by gdc2506

SCSA classification is easy.

From the SCSA site:

Your classification percentage is calculated as follows:
Your total time for all classifier stages that you shot is added up
The total "peak times" for the stages you shot is added up
Your percentage is defined as total_peak_time/total_stage_time
Your percentage is mapped to a classification

Its just that the 2nd line is the best time you have ever shot a stage in the last 2 years, not just the latest match

Unlike USPSA, there is no rolling window or anything like that. You get classified as soon as you have times on any four official stages. After those 4, its always your best time  relative to the peak time

As for what times you need to move up in class, that is highly dependent on what stages you are shooting and how well you shoot each one since the combined times is what matters and all stages have equal weight. 

So you need to do better on all stages or really kick ass on some stages and keep the status quo on others to be able to move up

Each stage has a peak time.  This is the time from which the classification brackets are calculated.  The peak time divided by your time gives you your classification percentage for the stages you shot (with only your best score for each stage used in the calculation).

Classifications are ranked as follows:

GM - 95%

M - 85%

A - 75%

B - 60%

C - 40%

D - below 40%

For the stages you shot, the total peak time is 48.5 seconds, so this divided by your time gets you 55.20%, or C class.

To find the time you need to beat, divide the peak time for those stages by the classification percentage.  So to get B, you would need to be under 80.83 seconds for those 6 stages.

Edited by apoc4lypse

7 hours ago, gdc2506 said:

But...  After each stage the score keeper would tell me that I shot a C round or even once I shot a B round.

Some of the scoring pad programs display this information for each stage.  As apoc4lypse stated, each individual stage (SC-101, SC-102...) has a peak time.  The Peak Time for the stage divided by your time on that stage will give you a Classification time for that individual stage.  From the stages you listed:

SC-101 Peak Time: 9.50 - Your Time: 15.36 - Stage Peak Time/Your Time (9.50/15.36) = 61.85% B 

SC-102 Peak Time: 7.00 - Your Time: 14.36 - Stage Peak Time/Your Time (7.00/14.36) = 48.75% C

SC-103 Peak Time: 7.00 - Your Time: 14.11 - Stage Peak Time/Your Time (7.00/14.11) = 49.61% C

SC-106 Peak Time: 9.00 - Your Time: 15.36 - Stage Peak Time/Your Time (9.00/15.36) = 58.60% C

SC-107 Peak Time: 9.00 - Your Time: 16.75 - Stage Peak Time/Your Time (9.00/16.75) = 53.73% C

SC-108 Peak Time: 7.00 - Your Time: 11.93 - Stage Peak Time/Your Time (7.00/11.93) = 58.68% C

Now, combine all these individual stages into a Match to get your total match time of 87.87 seconds.  Next, add up the Stage Peak Times: 48.50 seconds which is the Match Peak Time.  Same as with the individual stage times, divide the Match Peak Time (48.50) by your total match time (87.87).  48.50/87.87 = 55.20% which gives you a classification of "C" for the match.  

8 hours ago, gdc2506 said:

I guess my real question is, what kind of time do I need to acquire to get to Class B?  After that A and so on?

Staying with the stages you mentioned: take the Match Peak Time (48.50) and divide that by the % of whichever class you are looking at.  Example: for "B" you need to be at 60% or more of the Peak Time (48.50/.60 = 80.83 seconds).  For "A" Class (48.50/.75 = 64.66 seconds).  "M": 48.50/.85 = 57.05 seconds.  "G" 48.50/.95 = 51.05 seconds. You can also do this for each individual stage too, just substitute the Stage Peak Time for the Match Peak Time.

Example: SC-103 Peak Time: 7.00 - Your Time: 14.11 - Stage Peak Time/"B" Class % (7.00/0.6) = 11.66 seconds "B".  So, on this stage you would need to shoot a 11.66 seconds Stage Time to move from "C" to "B".  

If all this gives you a headache, check out the Steel Challenge Match Tracker app.  It will do all this for you.  There is also a classification calculator on the Steel Challenge website.  

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here- 

During a match when the score keeper tells you that you shot a B or C time on a stage, that's not necessarily true. The software is measuring your percentage against the best time recorded in that particular match for that stage, as THAT particular time is recorded as 100%. Comparing against par times for classification is different. I've seen score keepers tell people they just shot a "GM" time based on what the tablet shows during the match, when in reality it was an "M" time.

As an aside, if you're a C class shooter, you're better off not focusing on times and classifications during a match. As an A class shooter, I still don't check scores until after the match. Just my opinion, others will differ of course.

AR_James:  Thank you, that's what I was asking

EarlKeese:  Although I am math challenged, I do like statistics (At least the ones I understand).   At this time, I'm just trying to beat my scores from the last time out.   If I get caught up in trying to become this class or that, the fun goes away and it becomes another obsession.

2 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here- 

During a match when the score keeper tells you that you shot a B or C time on a stage, that's not necessarily true. The software is measuring your percentage against the best time recorded in that particular match for that stage, as THAT particular time is recorded as 100%. Comparing against par times for classification is different. I've seen score keepers tell people they just shot a "GM" time based on what the tablet shows during the match, when in reality it was an "M" time.

As an aside, if you're a C class shooter, you're better off not focusing on times and classifications during a match. As an A class shooter, I still don't check scores until after the match. Just my opinion, others will differ of course.

The Practiscore app shows your percentage vs the peak time for the stage as you enter times. I think you may be thinking about the overall match results where the winner is listed as 100% and then each time below them is shown as a percentage of their score. For example, if the fastest time in the match was 100 seconds and the next fastest was 112, it would show the second place as 89.28%.  That percentage is for the match and not considering peak times. 

16 hours ago, gdc2506 said:

Okay, newbie and mathematically challenged.

I am C class

I know that we shoot each stage 5 times and the best 4 count.  That I've got.

I saw a post in here with mathematical equations of what each class takes, but that might as well have been written in Latin.

In my 3rd ever steel challenge shoot I have the following scores...  Maybe these can be used to give me an example?

This was RFRO

Time:  87.87

%:  100

SC-101 (Five to go: 15.36

SC-102 (Showdown): 14.36

SC-103 (Smoke and Hope): 14.11 (Not proud of this by the way)

SC-106 (Pendulum): 15.36

SC-107 (Speed Option): 16.75

SC-108 (Roundabout):  11.93

Good Morning all,

If you are C Class, I assume you have a SCSA membership number that you use when you shoot official SCSA matches.  

Each Wednesday morning SCSA.org updates thier database.  If you shot an official SCSA match the weekend before and your club uploads the match, your times will be recorded and you can see the results by loging into SCSA.org.  IF you gained time on any stage previously shot, your percentage will increase.  If not, you will remain unchanged....and so the cycle goes.  If you shoot a stage for the first time, it will be added and your percentage adjusted accordingly.  I noticed that you shot Speed Option.  Due to width and length of that stage, many clubs can't shoot this stage.  It's good you can.  If your club can handle Outer Limits......even better.  The more stages you shoot, the more realistic your classification will be.  

For members, SCSA's website has a Calculator under member resources.  I find it is a good tool to use to evaluate and run what-if's.  

Good luck.

9 hours ago, nso123 said:

The Practiscore app shows your percentage vs the peak time for the stage as you enter times. I think you may be thinking about the overall match results where the winner is listed as 100% and then each time below them is shown as a percentage of their score. For example, if the fastest time in the match was 100 seconds and the next fastest was 112, it would show the second place as 89.28%.  That percentage is for the match and not considering peak times. 

^^^^^This matches what I have seen at locals.