Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 oem minus extensive slide work for uspsa? Yes or no

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys, so my LGS has a glock 34.5 that has its slide milled by primary machines, there are 2 large windows on either side and a window ontop of the barrel. Other then that the gun looks to have barely been shot and is all oem, the internals aren't even polished. I have been eyeing a glock 34 for uspsa and this one seems just about perfect. It is an mos and I'll be adding a red dot to it. 

Questions

I have only shot a milled gun a few times and I remember it being very soft recoiling but I don't know what else had been done to that gun. I have the opportunity to shoot this one tomorrow before buying it but I want to hear from you guys and your experience. 

Considering the 34 and glock 17 use the same recoil spring should there be any concern using an oem recoil spring with a milled slide?

Since overall the gun is going to be lighter then oem am I wrong in thinking there will be less felt recoil because of less reciprocating mass? I know guns like the shadow 2 have less recoil in part due to their weight.

Is there anything else I need to consider before pulling the trigger on this gun?

I took it apart yesterday at the gun shop and everything looked great, it had to have less then 500 rounds through it. I just don't want to regret this if an oem glock 34 would be a better buy. Was told the seller is constantly buying and selling new guns because he always has a new project.

Thanks in advance!

Imgur link to g34 in question

Edited by Bunnies4r5

I currently shoot a Glock 34 Gen 3 with a milled slide.  When my Jentra rod failed, I used my OEM guide rod assembly without issue.  

Physics would say that you should feel less movement with a lighter slide.  You may even want to mess with different spring weights because of the lighter slide.

One thing to consider, does it come with the MOS adapter plates?  I believe 4 should be included and those may be needed depending on which optic you use.  Also, you may want the backstraps.

1 minute ago, Edwards30 said:

I currently shoot a Glock 34 Gen 3 with a milled slide.  When my Jentra rod failed, I used my OEM guide rod assembly without issue.  

Physics would say that you should feel less movement with a lighter slide.  You may even want to mess with different spring weights because of the lighter slide.

One thing to consider, does it come with the MOS adapter plates?  I believe 4 should be included and those may be needed depending on which optic you use.  Also, you may want the backstraps.

I plan on running the red dot and I will be asking about the mos plates tomorrow when i go to shoot it. If it doesn't I saw the whole 4 pack on ebay for $30 I also have a set from my g19 so if I use a different footprint I already have some plates.

Hello, I have shot a stock gen 5 G34 and also a lightened slide gen 5 G34 and for me I actually liked the weight of the stock slide setup on the G34. Saying that, I prefer a gen 5 G17 more for carry optics if you take the time to set it up correctly. I would shoot it and see if it suits your type of shooting and remember that a slide mounted optic will add weight to the rear of the slide. Thanks, Eric

The lighter slide is less reciprocating mass but you may have to play with the recoil springs if the weight is significantly different. Another thing to think about is the non-reciprocating mass ratio.  The Glock is a very light gun, but now that you can game it with lights, if you really want to reduce the muzzle flip, throw a light or one of the metal "light" mods on the rail.  This has pros and cons but I think it will have a greater net effect than just slide cuts.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:24 PM, jubi351 said:

Humblemarksman did some tests and the lightened slide had more felt recoil. YEMV

Yea that may be so because so much weight is taken out of the gun. I have shot it and it already has less recoil then my glock 19. I got a tungsten guide rod which will solve any differences. Having added weight in the Frame and a lighter slide is gonna have less felt recoil then a standard frame and standard rsa because the weight is under the bore axis and non reciprocating

5 minutes ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

On 5/25/2021 at 8:12 AM, rpm8300 said:

The lighter slide is less reciprocating mass but you may have to play with the recoil springs if the weight is significantly different. Another thing to think about is the non-reciprocating mass ratio.  The Glock is a very light gun, but now that you can game it with lights, if you really want to reduce the muzzle flip, throw a light or one of the metal "light" mods on the rail.  This has pros and cons but I think it will have a greater net effect than just slide cuts.

Before I got this 34 I was gaming with a glock 19 with tlr8a and it was working out very well. This 34 already seemed to recoil less even with the light slide but I got a super heavy tungsten guide rod that adds about 100 grams which is about the same as a tlr1, I can also add a tlr1 on top of that but that will require a new holster and I am out of money haha. Gonna shoot it for now with the tungsten and 15lb spring and maybe I'll add a tlr1 and new holster down the line

Edited by Bunnies4r5