Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disparity in Starline .40 brass extractor groove?

matteekay

This is probably only relevant to revolver shooters who run .40 (so... just me?):

I recently bought a fresh batch of Starline .40 brass after running the same 1500 cases for the last couple of years. This new brass is loaded with the exact same load as my old brass and all of it passed the case gauge. The issue is it's loose in the TK Custom moonclips that I've been using with S-L .40, ranging from "looser than it used to be" to "literally falls out of the moon when shaken". The groove diameter seems to vary between cases; some are tighter in the same position of the same moon than others.

Has anyone else noticed this? I know the extractor groove diameter is not part of SAAMI specification so I'm wondering if Starline changed it at some point.

8 minutes ago, RePete said:

Why not contact Starline and tell them the issue.

I'll probably ping them. I was just curious if anyone else ran into this.

I'm ordering thicker moons for now. This brass seems to work okay with the Ranch Products 646 moons (which are out of stock) but Speed Beez seem to be sized about the same.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Why said:

most recent batch from them is 4-5 years old, no issues like what you're dealing with.

My 2-3 year old batch doesn't have this problem, either. Only the cases I ordered this year.

It was ultimately easier to switch moon clips so I just did that.