Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camera Setup


Recommended Posts

Anyone have a good setup for a camera to follow you as you go through a stage? I saw a video on the youtube like this but I don't know what they used.

 

This would be really nice when I practice alone so the camera can follow my movement. Also being able to just set the camera on the stage vs needing to get someone on the squad to film you would be simpler. I hate bugging people to video my run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I know some people will put a static camera up on a tripod, then use the size/position filter in a video editor to make it look like the camera is zooming in and following them through larger stages.

 

I don't know of any product to actively pan/zoom a camera to follow you automatically. I'm sure such a thing exists, or maybe can be built, but I'd also bet it isn't cheap.

 

edit: Yup, not cheap!

Edited by Fishbreath
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check out DZshooting on Instagram. He uses a GoPro Max and then edits it as if it is following him from uprange. Very cool setup. 
 

You could also do an aerial view like this, and a hat cam >>Youtube  This method uses an large light pole with a GoPro on top. 
 

 

There is also something like this, although I have no experience. https://shop.movensee.com/en/
 

I simply ask someone to follow me or have my wife do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any number of the Go-Pro type of cameras (see youtube for comparisons) and Amazon for prices. Accessories for mounting them are inexpensive, again see Amazon. Suggest you look at the highest frame rates and video in your price range. Most of these cameras will do multiple  jobs, Computer cameras, dash board, water sports, etc. 

KenK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of insta360 cameras. It films in 360 degrees and you edit it in post (editor is super simple) so I have someone just hold it up on a long selfie stick or sometimes just a mount in my cart. You can see what I'm talking about if you check out @muricanwerewolf on instagram.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i reached out to DZshooting referenced above.  He uses the gopro max and the gopro software to give the effect of tracking him.  nothing fancy on the software end which was a surprise.  I usually have someone record me with my camera and rock the old gopro hero 3 thats like 10 years old on my head, but will probably look into the gopro max and a 13' tripod behind the fault lines to record my stages going forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

DJI Osmo Pocket 2. It’ll allow you to drag a box on your phone around a subject and it will track that subject very accurately. Super tiny, great quality, and it’s an actual gimbal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is my setup I use for matches 

Zuca cart with my range bag in the middle, has everything in it that I’ll need through out an entire match. 
attached to the zuca cart is my go pro with a 10ft “selfie” stick. Where I am able to get an entire aerial view of the entire stage. I also use a hat cam for first person view. I was using a RunCam2 but the audio isn’t the greatest so I picked up a GoPro hero session 5. 

 

EC960DF2-FA67-4193-960C-1D8CD201F7C8.jpeg

Edited by Corrado_kid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Corrado_kid said:

This is my setup I use for matches 

Zuca cart with my range bag in the middle, has everything in it that I’ll need through out an entire match. 
attached to the zuca cart is my go pro with a 10ft “selfie” stick. Where I am able to get an entire aerial view of the entire stage. I also use a hat cam for first person view. I was using a RunCam2 but the audio isn’t the greatest so I picked up a GoPro hero session 5. 

 

 

Now that's a idea I think I like. Looks fairly simple and gives you a great view of what's going on. I already have a cart and a go pro, I just need a selfie stick and figure out how rig everything up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

 

Now that's a idea I think I like. Looks fairly simple and gives you a great view of what's going on. I already have a cart and a go pro, I just need a selfie stick and figure out how rig everything up.

I included the links to Amazon where I order the selfie stick and what I used to attach it to my cart. I use a GoPro remote on my belt to turn the camera on and start recording. I also use it to turn the camera off. I use my phone to make sure I have a good view of the entire stage and then turn the camera off until I’m the on deck shooter. I use a GoPro hero 7 black set of 4K and the video is perfect for what we do. I didn’t see the need to spend the extra money on the newest latest greatest GoPro. I have 5 batteries I switch out during a major match if I’m recording 3-5 of my buddies. 

 

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074SGNWY9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KMZXCX8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only suggestion would be for better sound equipment. Two ways to do that;

  • Shotgun mic with sound clipping to cut the high Db
  • Bluetooth microphone on the RO with sound clipping,

These would reduce/eliminate the shots from other berms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 10:22 AM, Corrado_kid said:

I included the links to Amazon where I order the selfie stick and what I used to attach it to my cart. I use a GoPro remote on my belt to turn the camera on and start recording. I also use it to turn the camera off. I use my phone to make sure I have a good view of the entire stage and then turn the camera off until I’m the on deck shooter. I use a GoPro hero 7 black set of 4K and the video is perfect for what we do. I didn’t see the need to spend the extra money on the newest latest greatest GoPro. I have 5 batteries I switch out during a major match if I’m recording 3-5 of my buddies. 

 

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074SGNWY9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KMZXCX8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title


great idea and thank you for the links!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 10:22 AM, Corrado_kid said:

I included the links to Amazon where I order the selfie stick and what I used to attach it to my cart. I use a GoPro remote on my belt to turn the camera on and start recording. I also use it to turn the camera off. I use my phone to make sure I have a good view of the entire stage and then turn the camera off until I’m the on deck shooter. I use a GoPro hero 7 black set of 4K and the video is perfect for what we do. I didn’t see the need to spend the extra money on the newest latest greatest GoPro. I have 5 batteries I switch out during a major match if I’m recording 3-5 of my buddies. 

 

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074SGNWY9?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KMZXCX8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title


I tried this at a recent match and it worked great. I’m using an older GoPro 5 and it works great. I have two of them and an USB battery pack so I can charge one in my bag while I’m using the other one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Corrado_kid‘S setup is really nice. I copied most of it for my range cart. His GoPro setup seems much more reliable than my Sony HDRAS50R/B camera. A reliable remote is key with the camera out of arms reach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...