Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye focus help

Do we have any optometrists here? I have an interesting issue that I recently discovered.

I am strongly right-eye dominant. However, with two eyes open, when I focus on my front sight (so I see one front sight, two targets and two rear sights), the "weak eye" rear sight is stronger and clearer. This is a problem as it's very hard to ensure the front sight is perfectly aligned when the rear sight is faint and blurry.

Furthermore, I noticed that when I'm focusing on the front sight, the dominant image of the sight I see is what my weak eye sees. The front sight is at an angle, which is what my weak eye would see if the sight was in front of my dominant eye. In other words, my weak eye image dominates.

Interestingly, when I reverse this so that I place the sights in front of my weak eye, the exact opposite happens. The strong eye image dominates.

So what is happening here? Why when I focus on the front sight is the dominant image coming from the eye that the gun is not in front of?!?!

I need more info. How old are you? Do you have an eyeglass RX? How far away are your sights when you hold your gun? No matter what your eye dominance is, you will never be able to get a clear image of the front and rear sight at the same time. Which of your eyes sees the target? You really should have an eye exam by someone who is a shooter. They can answer all of your questions. Everyone's eye movements vary and it's difficult to answer your question on a forum. 

• 7 months later...
On 5/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, Blackstone45 said:

Furthermore, I noticed that when I'm focusing on the front sight, the dominant image of the sight I see is what my weak eye sees. The front sight is at an angle, which is what my weak eye would see if the sight was in front of my dominant eye. In other words, my weak eye image dominates.

Interestingly, when I reverse this so that I place the sights in front of my weak eye, the exact opposite happens. The strong eye image dominates.

So what is happening here? Why when I focus on the front sight is the dominant image coming from the eye that the gun is not in front of?!?!

It's been a while since the question was asked but I do this to address cross-dominate issues.  Apparently it's a common thing in sporting clays too.

cross-dominance.jpg

Edited by belus

• 4 months later...