Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to a match with ammo. Moon clips or 100 round blue box?

I've flown many times with guns and ammo.  Domestic and International.  Like stated by some it can depend on the day, the checked baggage person, the manager, whatever....

I find it best and rarely have issues by having ammo in original type containers. (meaning factory or commercial boxes like you buy ammo at the store)

No ammo in moon clips,  No brass in moon clips, No ammo in magazines, nothing trying to be hidden in special containers etc.....

My firearm in its locked hard side case then placed with tag in my checked suitcase.  No ammo over 11 lbs. per person.  

Sometimes my bag doesn't come out onto the carousel.  After awhile I just go to the security office and there it is.  No problem.  It's usually been opened and looked through.  No problem.  The only issue I ever had was leaving Frankfurt, Germany.  I had like 11.2 lbs of ammo in my bag.  The manager made a big deal about it even though I apologized and said I miscalculated.  It took awhile but after posturing and playing the authoritarian for awhile he finally let me get on.

Just my two cents.

7 minutes ago, longbarrel said:

I've flown many times with guns and ammo.  Domestic and International.  Like stated by some it can depend on the day, the checked baggage person, the manager, whatever....

I find it best and rarely have issues by having ammo in original type containers. (meaning factory or commercial boxes like you buy ammo at the store)

No ammo in moon clips,  No brass in moon clips, No ammo in magazines, nothing trying to be hidden in special containers etc.....

My firearm in its locked hard side case then placed with tag in my checked suitcase.  No ammo over 11 lbs. per person.  

Sometimes my bag doesn't come out onto the carousel.  After awhile I just go to the security office and there it is.  No problem.  It's usually been opened and looked through.  No problem.  The only issue I ever had was leaving Frankfurt, Germany.  I had like 11.2 lbs of ammo in my bag.  The manager made a big deal about it even though I apologized and said I miscalculated.  It took awhile but after posturing and playing the authoritarian for awhile he finally let me get on.

Just my two cents.

Are you coming to the ICORE MW Regional July 3td in Louisville, NE?  How about the Free State USPSA at Mill Creek on July 24th?

Be good to pick your brain about the Show Me Cup, buddy and I are planning on it.

Possibly going to the Louisville match.  Was headed to Rocky Mtn this weekend but now maybe not.  Entered the Wyoming State Steel Challenge for July 24th weekend or maybe I would do Free State.  I would enjoy visiting with you as it's been awhile.  

Not because I don't want to.  Took a heckuva tumble on my dam Monday.  Bunged up my ankle good.  In an air compression boot.  Thought I may be able to do the Steel Challenge at least on Sunday but I'm really supposed to stay off it for awhile.  Could have been much worst.  

2 hours ago, longbarrel said:

Not because I don't want to.  Took a heckuva tumble on my dam Monday.  Bunged up my ankle good.  In an air compression boot.  Thought I may be able to do the Steel Challenge at least on Sunday but I'm really supposed to stay off it for awhile.  Could have been much worst.  

Well... that's understandable. Maybe next year!