Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-97 for USPSA limited 10

Gene_WI

Howdy Folks

With COVID and the obscene ammo prices here in the states I found myself reloading again in 2021. One of my favorite rounds to reload has always been .45 ACP. I have a decent supply of primers and components to roll my own for the next couple years. I shoot USPSA limited, my primary gun is a 5.4" infinity. Its no secret that the infinity grip closely resembles CZ grips. So I figured a good way to utilize my .45 resources and maintain  good practice routine for my primary gun was to build a CZ based pistol to shoot USPSA with. Hence this project of a CZ-97 based L10 gun was born.

Project so far.

CGW E converted CZ-97B, CZ custom magwell for the 97, dawson fiber optic front and black adjustable rear sights, lok grips bogies, henning large frame tanfoglio base pads, holster is DAA with a CZ SP-01 insert.

What I need and can't find good info about; extended mag release, wide safety.

Impressions after running some practice matches: Grip is excellent and closely matches 2011's, triggers is phenomenal, accuracy is exceptional, with Dawson sights the pistol is a dream. The mag release is poorly suited for competition use, the safety is marginal at best, both of these need to be replaced ASAP. The CZC magwell is great and works very well with the slightly modified Henning base pads. The mags themselves can be difficult to seat, I shaved the follower on a couple to see if it improves things.

-Gene

20210508_200955.jpg

Basepad and magazine mods for the CZC magwell.

The only current available magwelll for the 97 is sold by CZ custom. The necessary CZC base pads are out of stock, plus they are expensive. I used the following basepads instead (Henning Group PRO Series Base Pad For Tanfoglio LF, Item: H444-TL). The basepads need some minor mods to work. As seen in the picture below the base pad needs to be slightly radiused to clear the magwell, and the locking plate round tab needs to be slightly sanded. In all these work great, and are a relatively cheap solution.

20210508_200401.jpg

I used the extended safety from Cz custom

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/safeties/cz-75-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html

did require some careful fitting where the safety and frame intersect, and the end sticks out the right side a bit, but sure does make snapping off safety fast and sure. I’m in fact planning to the same next time Im in jersey for a USPSA match

Edited by midatlantic

I love my 97B but being a lefty would not be able to manipulate the safety well, but being double action not sure it that that matters.  

I have had this same though a few times but then got a czechmate and wandered into Open class from CO…

2 hours ago, Kirkster said:

I love my 97B but being a lefty would not be able to manipulate the safety well, but being double action not sure it that that matters.  

I have had this same though a few times but then got a czechmate and wandered into Open class from CO…

The gunsmith I've mentioned has custom made 97b for multiple lefty shooters, making it work.

25 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

The gunsmith I've mentioned has custom made 97b for multiple lefty shooters, making it work.

I have seen a couple conversions done.  There may have been a bit of drooling and lust…

On 5/21/2021 at 7:40 PM, Kirkster said:

The fact that the 97 doesn't have a left side safety absolutely doesn't matter if the pistol is going to be used in Production or Carry Optics. 

On 5/26/2021 at 3:17 PM, eerw said:

Couple of builds, frame can be modified for Shadow2 mag release.

1575457631_97BmagwellIDPA_DSC2218LOGOsmall.jpg.23d05d6dfa47aaa6a657f23d430f4810.jpg

99966565_97BACCUCustom_DSC0068LOGOsmall.jpg.570b72f3c0fcd6a7091503ff85e41b88.jpg

These look great!!!

Is the frame milling for a shadow mag release something CZ custom offer as a service? That would be just about perfect mod for L10.

12 minutes ago, Gene_WI said:

These look great!!!

Is the frame milling for a shadow mag release something CZ custom offer as a service? That would be just about perfect mod for L10.

yes we do, I replied to your email.

• 2 months later...

Got my pistol back from CZ custom. Its a whole different beast now.

Mods: Milled frame for a Shadow 2 safety (10374). Added a CZ-75 extended safety LHS (10225). 

20210809_175620.jpg

Edited by Gene_WI

The currently unresolved remaining issue for this project are magazines. It is well documented that full magazines for the CZ-97 are hard to seat. While I was able to seat full mags with some effort with the factory mag release, with the shadow 2 mag release the success is 50/50 with FMJ bullets, and 30/70 with SWC.

As my proposed solution I cut off most of the follower legs in one magazine (making a follower similar to grams or mbx). When loaded the full magazine seats without issues with both bullet types. Indeed the reload is nearly effortless. So far I cycled the modded mag with dummy rounds and observed no issues. Will test it in live fire tomorrow.

20210809_175851.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have plans to play around in Production this winter with my 97B running some 230gr S&S Casting loads I need to get to work on.  I figure I will aim for a load between 575-600 FPS and will likely move to either a 6lb or 7lb recoil spring.  

• 3 months later...

Have been enjoying shooting L10 with this set up in informal matches. Modified magazines have been working great. I spent some time making CR speed mag pouches work for CZ-97 magazines. I finally settled on 3D printed inserts specific to the mags. These inserts a are thicker then the 2011 inserts supplied by CR speed. As an added bonus these work with Tacsport mags as well.

20211121_190827.jpg