Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 122 tc bullet

chetc

i recently ran out of the 9mm acme coated 122gr tc bullet,they will not be making them for another 4  weeks min, since i cannot find them, i am curious if any shooter have had any luck with the lead non coated bullet. any suggestions on which were accurate. i have a new Hellcat and it loves the 122 acme coated TC bullet with 4.2 W231 at 1.070

chet

I've shot a lot of lead non-coated bullets over the decades.  For minor loads I'm pretty sure you'd be fine with medium hardness and a good lube.  They will be a little "smokey" and possibly be a problem on indoor ranges, but outside you should be fine.  Also there will likely be a slight odor as well.  Last time I shot some old stock lead bullets I had, I got some teasing from my friends... but it's all good.

I agree with Ben53, the plain lead bullets work fine, but smoke a bit more. A quality alloy and lube are essential, but most commercial bullet casters make one bullet and then either coat or lube, so if it is the same supplier you should be good to just use the uncoated bullet and the same load.

• 3 months later...

All the bullets I cast for myself are bare grooved Lead, with a thick lubricant in the grooves.  Not every bare grooved Lead bullet is accurate enough for 25 and 50 yard Bullseye shooting, but the ones I cast are.  

As with all Lead bullets, pay attention to what your groove diameter is, and use bullets that are at least that diameter.  Pay attention to how much neck tension you have in your case, and whether your case swages down your bullet on seating.