Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Thumb Placement and Pressure

SuperKing

With my grip, my strong-hand thumb rests on to the back of my weak-hand thumb in a thumbs forward grip. Lately, I've developed an inclination to apply pressure with my strong thumb onto my weak-hand instead of just letting it rest there. Is this inherently bad or not desirable at all? 

15 hours ago, SuperKing said:

With my grip, my strong-hand thumb rests on to the back of my weak-hand thumb in a thumbs forward grip. Lately, I've developed an inclination to apply pressure with my strong thumb onto my weak-hand instead of just letting it rest there. Is this inherently bad or not desirable at all? 

What does the target say?  What does the timer say?  Those are the only two things that matter.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:59 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

What does the target say?  What does the timer say?  Those are the only two things that matter.

You definitely have a point. There's probably other lower hanging fruit that I could look at to improve anyways. Thanks.

7 hours ago, SuperKing said:

You definitely have a point. There's probably other lower hanging fruit that I could look at to improve anyways. Thanks.

I was 100% serious.  Do some doubles drill, escalating the splits.  Pick your distances.

The target will tell you if your current grip needs to be fixed or not.  Who cares what the internet says?

IF your grip needs fixing, best to sign up for some online training instead of taking advice from random people. 

Edited by SGT_Schultz

5 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I was 100% serious.  Do some doubles drill, escalating the splits.  Pick your distances.

The target will tell you if your current grip needs to be fixed or not.  Who cares what the internet says?

IF your grip needs fixing, best to sign up for some online training instead of taking advice from random people. 

I didn't think you were kidding or anything. I ran accelerator drills and 4 aces with and without thumb pressure back to back a few times for an afternoon  and besides one feeling more natural there wasn't a meaningful difference in the number of C's or D's or grouping.

I have found that, for me, the strong thumb on top of the support thumb which rests lightly against the frame is best. When I exert force through my thumbs, I have less sensitivity and control in my trigger finger. Never noticed any issues with shot placement, but time was affected.

• 3 months later...

I started doing the same thing with both thumbs.   I used to apply pressure with the strong hand thumb which I found hurt trigger control at speed.   I used to apply pressure with my weak hand thumb into the gun but that hurt transitions.   It’s a hard habit to break.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 12:51 AM, SuperKing said:

A friend of mine recently discovered that applying pressure on his right thumb in a similar way interfered with his trigger control and made him lose accuracy. As Schultz pointed out, try it out to see what happens. Some pressure probably won't matter but death grip on your right hand will probably have negative effect.

I myself insert a slight pressure with my right thumb and haven't noticed any problems, but my right hand is mostly relaxed on the pistol

I find it difficult to test new grips or techniques. Most of us will alter our grip or whatever we want to test and shoot a few magazines. Naturally, it feels funny and even if you use a target and timer you probably won't  see an improvement.

How many rounds trying the new grip or technique would it take to get comfortable enough to really make it a useful test? I don't know but I'm sure it's a lot more then a few mags worth.

Hold your strong hand loose and try to wiggle your finger as fast as you can. Now make a tight fist, or push downward with that thumb pressure you are talking about. You'll probably feel tension in your trigger finger. I don't want that. 

• 2 months later...

Recently doing some drills I started paying attention to my strong side thumb. I normally relax my strong thumb and apply some pressure with my weak hand. 

when I started adding more pressure with my strong hand the shots showed up horrible and spread way out on doubles

I've messed around with this and didn't notice any appreciable difference positively or negatively. My take away from messing around with it is what's important is holding onto the pistol really tight, and to not focus on what any individual finger (aside from the trigger finger, or course) is doing. 

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would place your strong thumb wherever feels comfortable and gives the best results without affecting trigger finger. This is why I like the slim cz safety as it allows me to put my thumb where I like vs where most people like. For me personally I find my thumb too high on a 1911/2011 safety where most people like it