Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LOOSE PRIMER POCKETS ON 9MM

TheGoatMumbler

I've just started experiencing Remington primers falling out of a few of my 9mm reloads. Maybe 1 out of 250-300. No biggie but it's annoying. It is not specific to any one brass manufacturer and the primers all mic the same diameter. I use range brass and here is my theory:

One range I collect brass from holds USPSA matches and there are several guys shooting Open guns loading major PF. If you reload that brass a few times at major PF I suspect the pockets can open up thus causing loose pockets. No one shoots open guns at my other range and I've reloaded thousands of rounds with that brass with no problems. What say you?

3 minutes ago, Vmax606 said:

Do NOT use any brass with loose primer pockets, it will cause the flame to go back and pit the breech face.

Of course not. But I don't know there's a loose one unless it locks up my shell plate or falls out in the completed ammo tray.

9 minutes ago, TheGoatMumbler said:

Of course not. But I don't know there's a loose one unless it locks up my shell plate or falls out in the completed ammo tray.

Back in the 175 PF days, I knew a guy shooting open who would tumble his 38 Super brass to see if any of the primers would fall out. 38 Super brass has never been cheap so he would reuse it as much as he could.

21 minutes ago, TheGoatMumbler said:

You should not even use the one that you do not feel resistance when seating the primers.

I only ever reloaded my own brass, I would mark my cases. I never had an issue with loose primers with my Carry Optics gun for that reason. I would sort the brass when I got home, and any that were not mine were given to another shooter who would recycle them.

If you use random range brass then you will likely end up with your issue as Open guns will wreck cases.

Edited by BritinUSA

20 hours ago, costeel said:

That makes my back and neck hurt just thinking about checking primer pockets with a case gauge, on thousands of 9mm cases 😀

Just sit back in the recliner with a couple of buckets. 😀As scarce as primers are can’t waste any. 

Maybe you picked up some of my 9 major brass? I use to shoot it pick it up and reload it, but then I started noticing a lot of primers in the corn!  Primers would come out during tumbling.  I then had a few fall out between the ammo case and loading them in the mags.   I went to the one and done and have not had any issues.   I don't use Remington Primers, tried them didn't like them went with Federal, Win, and CCI, but I'd buy them today if I found them.  

• 2 weeks later...

I deprime before tumble.  That way I find all sorts of stuff, including loose and crimped primers.  Loose gets the bin, crimped go in a can for cutting before cleaning.

From my perspective, reloading is an art form.  The result is little machines that you have assembled with a specific result in mind. 

Send the bullet down the barrel.  Every.  Single.  Time.  

Multiple people shoot 9mm Major at the ranges where my brass ends up so some of that is mixed in with what is collected.  For practice, the nickel cases are used for two reasons.  1) easier to find in the grass and 2) they can be picked out of the brass sorter easily.  Others shoot nickel but are .38 Super so those are easily separated from the 9's.

Next, the cases are culled for the "thick bottom" ones and the brands that do not reload well on the press.  The remaining are wet tumbled, dried, de-primed and then the primer pockets are checked with a Go-NoGo gauge.  The ones that pass are then ran through the CasePro and resized back to specifications.

They are bagged in clear ZipLoc lunch bags containing 200 each.  When sitting down to load, the matching number of primers is pulled along with the brass and now the actual reloading starts.  Loaded rounds are checked with a Hundo gauge and then boxed and labeled.

Sounds like a very long process over just tumbling and reloading but the result is every round goes bang.

BC

On 5/26/2021 at 8:31 AM, BillChunn said:

From my perspective, reloading is an art form.  The result is little machines that you have assembled with a specific result in mind. 

Multiple people shoot 9mm Major at the ranges where my brass ends up so some of that is mixed in with what is collected.  For practice, the nickel cases are used for two reasons.  1) easier to find in the grass and 2) they can be picked out of the brass sorter easily.  Others shoot nickel but are .38 Super so those are easily separated from the 9's.

Next, the cases are culled for the "thick bottom" ones and the brands that do not reload well on the press.  The remaining are wet tumbled, dried, de-primed and then the primer pockets are checked with a Go-NoGo gauge.  The ones that pass are then ran through the CasePro and resized back to specifications.

They are bagged in clear ZipLoc lunch bags containing 200 each.  When sitting down to load, the matching number of primers is pulled along with the brass and now the actual reloading starts.  Loaded rounds are checked with a Hundo gauge and then boxed and labeled.

Sounds like a very long process over just tumbling and reloading but the result is every round goes bang.

BC

Dang man I just wet tumble, and dry, then put I  case feeder. The 1100 swages primer pockets and out cone little loaded bullets. 

On 5/29/2021 at 11:33 PM, Bakerjd said:

Dang man I just wet tumble, and dry, then put I  case feeder. The 1100 swages primer pockets and out cone little loaded bullets. 

Swaging the primer pocket does not find a case that has an oversized pocket.  On the 1100 everything is done on the downstroke of the handle so detecting a loose primer pocket is very difficult.  The swage, resize, case belling and bullet seating stations are all generating friction so picking out an oversized pocket that swages too easily is tough.

If you don't find it before the reloading process, you find it after the primer falls out.  Depending on how loose it was, that could be at a variety of times:

1 - When you tumble the loaded rounds (not done by many unless you want that "new" look on the brass)

2 - When the round is shaken back and forth in the magazine during firing.

3 - When it skips up into the chamber and the primer finds the exact spot to interfere with the trigger action.  Locking up the gun during the only speed shoot in a L2 match is memorable. 

BC

Edited by BillChunn

On 5/26/2021 at 5:31 AM, BillChunn said:

BC

👍

13 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Swaging the primer pocket does not find a case that has an oversized pocket.  On the 1100 everything is done on the downstroke of the handle so detecting a loose primer pocket is very difficult.  The swage, resize, case belling and bullet seating stations are all generating friction so picking out an oversized pocket that swages too easily is tough.

If you don't find it before the reloading process, you find it after the primer falls out.  Depending on how loose it was, that could be at a variety of times:

1 - When you tumble the loaded rounds (not done by many unless you want that "new" look on the brass)

2 - When the round is shaken back and forth in the magazine during firing.

3 - When it skips up into the chamber and the primer finds the exact spot to interfere with the trigger action.  Locking up the gun during the only speed shoot in a L2 match is memorable. 

BC

I feel like there is a great story behind nunber 3. But you are correct. That was the one thing I didnt like about the 1100.