Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI SM Pistol Magnum primers OK in 40?

DIYguy

Did do a search of the web and surprised the most recent response was seven years old most much older. Similar story, bought the Magnum Sm Pistol primers by mistake and they've sat in my cabinet since. Just picked up a CZ TSO (Tactical Sport Orange) in 40 and already have plenty of components to start loading the 180g but low on my standard Sm Pistol primers. If I can use the magnum in the 40s would like to save my standard primers for my 9mm. When I did the research to confirm if it was OK to use the CCI Sm Pistol Magnum primers in .40 all the answers were, yes, no problem, definatly not! and maybe, should be OK. Not much help.  Lets try again.

CCI small pistol magnum

Power Pistol powder

180g Berry's flat tops

• 2 weeks later...

CCI 550 small pistol primers and CCI 400 small rifle primers have the same cup and priming compound.  They are both hotter than the 500s and the cup is harder.  Iif you are running a light mainspring, you may have trouble igniting them.

• 3 weeks later...

This year I've ran a whole brick of spmp's. 

I have a sd40 with the apex trigger kit. The light striker spring wouldn't set off the mag primers. Stock spring was reinstalled and now it runs fine. 

In my cz75 I used them too without issue with whatever springs came in the cgw kit. 

So I loaded up multiple batches of different loads with the CCi magnum (550) primers and Power Pistol. Ended up with 6.3 grains giving my between 1040 and 1050fps depending on temp. CZ TSO has no issue lighting them, ran about (150) test loads so far. Just loaded another (150) to take to the range and get a bit more serious with.