Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2021 PCC/CO Nationals in Talledega, AL

The CO/PCC nationals are in Talladega, Alabama this year at CMP park from the 14th to the 18th of October this year.  

I am registered, but I have questions, and rather than pester the MD personally, I figured I would ask here and hopefully the answers will be helpful to anyone attending that has never been there before. 

I am driving this year, but last year I flew to Nationals, so for the fliers, what is the airport situation in the area?

Is the the basic scheduling is check in/look around is on Thursday the 14th, then shoot Friday the 15th through Sunday the 17th, then awards, etc. Monday 18th?

I have a choice of AM, PM, AM or PM, AM, PM - 5 stages per day. I guess this boils down to morning person or not, but are there other reasons to choose one set over another?

What kind of weather is typical of Alabama in October?  Should I still be planning for heatstroke mitigation, or needing extra layers or below zero morning followed by 80 degrees, what?   

Range cart or golf cart to get to stages?  Follow up, are things like a cart mounted umbrella required, a good idea, unnecessary or verbotten?

Other than the match, is there anything else in the area that I should not miss?  

When I am choosing my accommodations are there any areas that one should favor or avoid?

Anyone local to Talladega want to chime in?

Airports:  you have your choice of Atlanta or Birmingham. Personably I would do BHM. 

CMP has a rule that no shots fired before 0900. So it’s a pretty civilized start to your morning. 

Oxford is about 25 minutes to the east, and has all the amenities (hotel, restaurants, stores, etc). and the ubiquitous Waffel House on every other corner.

I believe you can rent a golf cart at the CMP club house. Parking is a little tight. For the lower bays you park and walk over a bridge. For the bays up above they’ll probably let you drive across the bridge and park up top. 

As far as weather, plan for it all. Rain, sun, warm, cold, dry, humid. My guess is you’ll see it all. 

^^ what he said. I have flown into atlanta and  birmingham and birmingham is MUCH less hassle. I was in the rental car and driving away within 30 mins of the plane landing when we went to the world speed shoot.

be prepared for at least some rain. I've been there 3 times in the last 6 months and it's rained every time for a little bit. 

I wouldn't rent a golf cart, but I'm only 59 and not a pansy. If you are elderly and too weak to carry your gear, maybe it would make sense.

all the hotels are 25 mins away. Staff stayed in oxford which has all the chain hotels and plenty of restaurants. previous matches I have stayed at airbnb's that were 15-20 mins from the range, which I preferred.

I prefer pm/am/pm even tho I am a morning person because I shoot better in the afternoon, but it's purely personal preference. The AM schedule there is pretty late by traditional standards.

On the subject of Golf carts, I own one, do they have any rules about outside golf carts?

I am not a pansy, but I do have 11 screws and a plate in my ankle, and no vicodin to help if I over do things, so I am teaching myself I no longer have anything to prove.

...Especially If I need to be prepared for all weather options...LOL.  

Good information so far, thanks.

I once went to an AL State match just up the road from there. We actually slid into the range that morning in the middle of a pretty severe snowstorm, and by afternoon we were stripped down to t-shirts and getting sunburned. A soldier named Tony Pignato had just mustered out of the Army and the MD brought him over to our squad so he'd have fun. An unsquaded, last-minute registration. We had a hoot. 

That of course was only one years weather, but it showed you should be prepared for anything.

On 5/11/2021 at 9:48 PM, barrysuperhawk said:

On the subject of Golf carts, I own one, do they have any rules about outside golf carts?

I am not a pansy, but I do have 11 screws and a plate in my ankle, and no vicodin to help if I over do things, so I am teaching myself I no longer have anything to prove.

...Especially If I need to be prepared for all weather options...LOL.  

Good information so far, thanks.

I have shot there three times and I did not see anything to suggest that you couldn’t bring an outside golf cart. One of the range officers that worked the same stage as me brought his utv. I am right with you with a plate and a bunch of screws in my femur and knee but for each section of the match you really only have to cover a handful of yards between bays. I had no problem just walking. if you are shooting in the upper bays they allow you to drive your car up there so you are close to everything there as well.

is there a match book out for this?  if not, does anyone know any details?  sling needed, do they designate what must be shot with handgun and what with pcc, anything prone or that might interfere with an "open" holster or get mud etc in the comp, etc?

On 5/15/2021 at 5:05 PM, davsco said:

is there a match book out for this?  if not, does anyone know any details?  sling needed, do they designate what must be shot with handgun and what with pcc, anything prone or that might interfere with an "open" holster or get mud etc in the comp, etc?

I belive you are talking about the 2 gun nats correct? 

Schedule will be shoot friday, Saturday, Sunday and "banquet " sunday evening. Be prepared to not have a porta potty to use, or ANY food at all. Range is nice though. Oh and unless you are getting a plaque I'd skip the "banquet".

i just shot LOCAP there and there was plenty of parking up top for zone3 but there were a lot of golf carts in use too. parking for zone 1/2 was tight around "shift change" but i didn't have any issues even in a crew cab truck.  the walk to zone 1/2 from the lot is short so just park with everyone else and cross the little bridge

as for airports, i can't help. just show up in time to watch that cmp video and get your card and bring the card everyday of the match

Gearing up to go to 2 gun nats here next week. Debating on bringing my own golf cart. I know it's allowed, but is it necessary? I live fairly close and don't mind bringing it if it will make things easier. We also have three guys with us that will be riding together. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from 2gun nats and brought our cart. It wasn't necessary, but it was convenient. There are plenty of carts there to rent which is what most people did. You can easily walk to area 1 and use a cart, and you can drive your truck to area 2. The facility there is top notch. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 8:08 AM, jdavid1 said:

Just got back from 2gun nats and brought our cart. It wasn't necessary, but it was convenient. There are plenty of carts there to rent which is what most people did. You can easily walk to area 1 and use a cart, and you can drive your truck to area 2. The facility there is top notch. 

We rented a golf cart, was nice because it rained hard the first day of 2-gun Nationals and drizzled the next day. Kept us along with guns & gear dry. Range is top notch and even after hurricane downpour the bays drained and no mud. Footing was excellent.

gerritm

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 1:36 AM, barrysuperhawk said:

The CO/PCC nationals are in Talladega, Alabama this year at CMP park from the 14th to the 18th of October this year.  

I am registered, but I have questions, and rather than pester the MD personally, I figured I would ask here and hopefully the answers will be helpful to anyone attending that has never been there before. 

I am driving this year, but last year I flew to Nationals, so for the fliers, what is the airport situation in the area?

Is the the basic scheduling is check in/look around is on Thursday the 14th, then shoot Friday the 15th through Sunday the 17th, then awards, etc. Monday 18th?

I have a choice of AM, PM, AM or PM, AM, PM - 5 stages per day. I guess this boils down to morning person or not, but are there other reasons to choose one set over another?

What kind of weather is typical of Alabama in October?  Should I still be planning for heatstroke mitigation, or needing extra layers or below zero morning followed by 80 degrees, what?   

Range cart or golf cart to get to stages?  Follow up, are things like a cart mounted umbrella required, a good idea, unnecessary or verbotten?

Other than the match, is there anything else in the area that I should not miss?  

When I am choosing my accommodations are there any areas that one should favor or avoid?

Anyone local to Talladega want to chime in?

Your days are off. Staff is Thurs/Fri (14-15). Regular match is Sat-Mon (16-18)

• 1 month later...

Ok, so to be clear, (and to bump this thread) since I ended up on the AM/PM/AM  I will be shooting AM on Saturday the 16, PM on Sunday the 17, and AM on Monday the 18th?    Assuming I stick around Monday for any festivities, does anyone want to hazard a guess about what time I could expect to be on the road?  Are we talking 6pm or midnight?  The reason I ask is I am trying to plan where to get a motel for Monday and I don't really want to wait until the match book comes out with the exact schedule.

3 hours ago, barrysuperhawk said:

Ok, so to be clear, (and to bump this thread) since I ended up on the AM/PM/AM  I will be shooting AM on Saturday the 16, PM on Sunday the 17, and AM on Monday the 18th?    Assuming I stick around Monday for any festivities, does anyone want to hazard a guess about what time I could expect to be on the road?  Are we talking 6pm or midnight?  The reason I ask is I am trying to plan where to get a motel for Monday and I don't really want to wait until the match book comes out with the exact schedule.

Correct. 

Saturday am

Sunday pm 

Monday am

PCC nationals wrapped around 5ish last year… awards and dinner easily went past 7:00