Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson Elite Havoc

Kevrend

3 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I agree with rishii, 140s will get 90-95% of what you need locally. When you start to get comfortable with your new pistol and the open division, a 170 will start to show it's advantages. I always take my 170s loaded to the club matches, and often find my self reloading from the 170 to a 140. I can't speak to the 155s, they were not an option when I started open, but honestly don't believe they're to much of an advantage? Some of the others who use them will give you a better opinion. I have a DW PM in 40 S&W, and if the Havoc is built the same, you'll have quite a pistol. Once again, holler if you need help with it.

Thank you, much appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/11/2021 at 3:10 PM, ChuckS said:

Or better yet, have your buddy register here if he has not yet and post his story. There are still quite a few Caspian-based pistols floating around. 😉 

I'm here, and I have a DW Elite Havok. As @Rnlinebacker said it took a lot of work to get the gun to be competitive. You need to buy MBX magazines for them (and for a couple years they were not available), get a new optic mount because the stock one is an incredibly bad design (blocks you from using a thumb rest), and also have to modify the magwell to take a 2011 mainspring pin. The caspian magwells they come with are slip-fit and they're not very good. Also the stock finish was Cerakote and it's crap.

I spoke to @Kevrendlast week about the gun, and gave him some tips.

I made the gun work for me but as I said to @Kevrend unless you get an incredible deal on it I would not recommend it to anyone.

I had a new top end built by Greg Krebaum after the first slide cracked, and it now has an Akai one sided mount, an Akai thumbrest, a SVI 45* degree racker, so I've been happy with it but this is not a stock configuration, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. You'd be better off buying a 2011.

The picture is kind of meh because the light makes the parts where there's some gun oil look like a different color but the finish is alright.

IMG_20200123_160707.thumb.jpg.a5d0025373421f616713549d60960ad0.jpg

Edited by sc68cal

What do you plan on running for a load, 115/125gr. I am using Hornady 125 HAP w/10.2gr AA7, running approx. 1390fps. This load develops plenty of gas to work the comp and doesn't beat the pistol to death. Shooting 9 major should be a bit to learn to load for, I have some friends that shoot 9 major, took time to get what they wanted. 

Edited by tomjerry1
spelling

I've worked up recipes for AA7, HS6, 3n38, and Autocomp for 124gr.

I liked HS6 because my LGS always had 8lb cans available back in 2018/2019 but AA7 was also a good powder.

I'm currently using 3n38 because I built up a good reserve of it in 2019 and now I'm using it after my HS6 ran out.

8 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Have you received your pistol yet?

I have! And I was able to test it out with some 9mm minor ammo, which it’s chewed through with zero malfunctions and I loaded up some 9mm major loads and they’re running great as well. Just got my Guga Ribas holster last night, so time to get dry firing. I’ll post up photos in a day or two. 

8 hours ago, Kevrend said:

I have! And I was able to test it out with some 9mm minor ammo, which it’s chewed through with zero malfunctions and I loaded up some 9mm major loads and they’re running great as well. Just got my Guga Ribas holster last night, so time to get dry firing. I’ll post up photos in a day or two. 

Glad to here!  The few I've seen ran very well. Both used MBX mags exclusively. One I know the guy had some trigger work done, extractor tuned a little bit. But other then that neither have had any issues. I have had the opportunity to buy one a few times and passed due to funds at the time. Hope you enjoy the gun!

I don't know what disconnector is in your pistol, but I had an issue with mine. I use the "EGW HD BALL HEAD LONG DISCONNECTOR", seems as tho other disconnectors can extend into the mag area of the grip, and can cause an accidental discharge during reload. I have had it happen to me, and someone suggested this disconnector, and haven't had an AD while reloading since. You may have to reduce the ball head diameter slightly to function. The mag well looks like an EGW product also, what I use, it is pressure fit and may loosen after a lot of use. I use a piece of masking tape on the pistol mag well, trim it to match and the tap the mag well into place with a plastic mallet, never had it move.

1 hour ago, tomjerry1 said:

I don't know what disconnector is in your pistol, but I had an issue with mine. I use the "EGW HD BALL HEAD LONG DISCONNECTOR", seems as tho other disconnectors can extend into the mag area of the grip, and can cause an accidental discharge during reload. I have had it happen to me, and someone suggested this disconnector, and haven't had an AD while reloading since. You may have to reduce the ball head diameter slightly to function. The mag well looks like an EGW product also, what I use, it is pressure fit and may loosen after a lot of use. I use a piece of masking tape on the pistol mag well, trim it to match and the tap the mag well into place with a plastic mallet, never had it move.

Cool, thank you. I’ll definitely keep an eye on how the disconnector is functioning during reloads in training. 

On 5/31/2021 at 10:29 AM, tomjerry1 said:

The mag well looks like an EGW product

It's actually a Dawson ICE magwell for Caspian.... discontinued and very rare.

EGW made a magwell for Caspian for a bit before they discontinued it as well. So, there's not many options for magwells for the platform.

• 5 weeks later...
23 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Well, how's the new pistol treating you?

So far, great. She's running like a dream and all 6 magazines have been very reliable so far. Snagged a Guga Ribas holster for it and shot my first match with it at the beginning of the month. Didn't have much live fire practice with it, but got some dry fire in every afternoon. Still need to get used to disengaging a safety on the draw coming from the Glock world. 

Here's a link to an album of photos because I can't get the hang of the photo uploader on the forum. --> https://imgur.com/gallery/Zw6fa45

And here's a link of some clips from that match. Hopefully this month's match will bring some increased confidence in the manipulations of the gun.  --> https://imgur.com/gallery/1AP0EyJ

As far as loads, I'm shooting a 9Major load of 6.8gr VV N340 124gr RN at 1.165" OAL. I've also ran several different 9 Minor loads through it just to see how it handled it and it's been 100% reliable for firing, extracting and feeding. Can't express how impressed I am with the gun thus far. I'm going to run it with the CMore for the year and most likely switch to an SRO next year to lighten the gun a bit and to avoid having to worry about batteries all the time.

Edited by Kevrend

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey gents, just following up, this gun has been phenomenal. I’m not convinced that my load is ideal for it, but it hasn’t hiccuped once with major ammo and it runs most minor ammo just fine (although it doesn’t like to eject the last round of a mag on minor ammo). It groups very impressively and I enjoy pinging reduced c zone steel from 100 yds regularly. I take it the guy who did the smithing on this for the previous owner knew his stuff and got the mags running flawlessly. Excited to keep running it!