Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Current best options for bullet purchase, .38 158gr RN?

MattInTheHat

Well, shooting the Nats awoke the bug in me, but my bullet situation is poor. Decent on primers and brass, but I only have 1500 bullets. I know the waits are insane, what's the best option for getting some on order? Only coated or jacketed, my lead levels won't do cast.

1 hour ago, missed it by that much said:

BBI had 160 grain coated in stock several months and I received about a week after ordering 

I traded a buddy 1000 of Fed100's for 500 BBI 38 160's and he got them in a week?  

Didn't really have the extra primer stock, but he was headed to the Nat's and running way low.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

I traded a buddy 1000 of Fed100's for 500 BBI 38 160's and he got them in a week?  

Didn't really have the extra primer stock, but he was headed to the Nat's and running way low.

Yeah I just checked he still has the 160 grain in stock $103 per 1000, shipped says it ships within 2 days after ordering. Hopefully you didn't pay $50 dollars for the 1000 fed primers. 

I have 2000 Delta Precision 115 FMJ jacketed bullets I would sell.  I was able to get enough 124 gr JHP, so I no longer need the 115gr Bullets.  Let me know if you are interested. $105/1000 is what I paid. So $210 and $20 for shipping for 2000. Let me know if you are interested. 

Edited by Boomstick303

6 hours ago, MattInTheHat said:

Whatever has the right shape to not slow down the reload, I'm not opposed to recoil.

The 160 sold by SNS and BBI has a long, tapered nose. They reload very quickly.

11 hours ago, missed it by that much said:

Yeah I just checked he still has the 160 grain in stock $103 per 1000, shipped says it ships within 2 days after ordering. Hopefully you didn't pay $50 dollars for the 1000 fed primers. 

Had another buddy who had a carton (1500) of Fiocchi SPP's and I did pay him $50 for them, and didn't blink.  Actually felt bad, thought they were worth more, but that's what he wanted.

The Fed 100's were bought in early '20 at the normal price, wish I'd bought multiple more flats though!

Right now I'd pay $250 for a Flat of F100's though.

If I still have leading trouble with the Ibejiheads 160gr today, I'm considering trying another manufacturer (maybe it's a coating thing).

It looks like the SNS and BBI 160gr bullets are made with the same mold. Any preferences between the two?

1 minute ago, Fishbreath said:

If I still have leading trouble with the Ibejiheads 160gr today, I'm considering trying another manufacturer (maybe it's a coating thing).

It looks like the SNS and BBI 160gr bullets are made with the same mold. Any preferences between the two?

SNS for me. Their coating is a little thicker and more even than BBI (though they're also a fine choice).

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Had another buddy who had a carton (1500) of Fiocchi SPP's and I did pay him $50 for them, and didn't blink.  Actually felt bad, thought they were worth more, but that's what he wanted.

The Fed 100's were bought in early '20 at the normal price, wish I'd bought multiple more flats though!

Right now I'd pay $250 for a Flat of F100's though.

I heard that!

3 hours ago, matteekay said:

SNS for me. Their coating is a little thicker and more even than BBI (though they're also a fine choice).

I think SNS also has a USPSA Discount.

On 5/10/2021 at 7:23 PM, matteekay said:

I'm a huge fan of SNS. They have a 160gr RN that's my load of choice in .38 Short Colt and/or .38 Special:

https://www.snscasting.com/38-357-160-grain-round-nose-red-coated-1000ct/

Right you were, I ordered and they were shipped the next day. If they test out well, you might have saved the day, thanks!

I see you've used 3.0 TG, which makes sense as I was using 3.4 with a jacketed Berry's, I've always found going to coated saved about 10% powder. Have you played with OAL to get them shorter?

Edited by MattInTheHat

Just now, MattInTheHat said:

Right you were, I ordered and they were shipped the next day. If they test out well, you might have saved the day, thanks!

I think you'll like them. I have no affiliation with SNS - I just really like their products and they've always treated me well.

1 hour ago, MattInTheHat said:

I see you've used 3.0 TG, which makes sense as I was using 3.4 with a jacketed Berry's, I've always found going to coated saved about 10% powder. Have you played with OAL to get them shorter?

I tried down to 1.150" in 38 short colt with 160 Coated 358" bullets and would have the occasional bulge at the base of the bullet that wouldn't chamber.  At 1.170" and above I've had no issues.  I settled on 1.180" oal.  Used with Bayou's, BBI's, Precision (150) and all worked good at that oal.  I've used 2.8 Clay/ClayDot or 3.0 Titegroup all with Federal 100's.  Side note I've started playing with Fiocchi SPP's and they drop velocity by 20+f/s, are much cleaner and more accurate.  They seem a bit, maybe 5%, harder to ignite.  Had to add 2-4 ounces more to the hammer fall which added .25 lbs to the Action Pull Weight.

11 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I tried down to 1.150" in 38 short colt with 160 Coated 358" bullets and would have the occasional bulge at the base of the bullet that wouldn't chamber.  At 1.170" and above I've had no issues.  I settled on 1.180" oal.

Oh, interesting. I was loading at 1.195" or so previously, went to 1.23", and am still having leading issues with 2.8gr Clay Dot. Maybe I need to go in a bit for a better seal?

On 5/12/2021 at 7:10 PM, pskys2 said:

I tried down to 1.150" in 38 short colt with 160 Coated 358" bullets and would have the occasional bulge at the base of the bullet that wouldn't chamber.  At 1.170" and above I've had no issues.  I settled on 1.180" oal.  Used with Bayou's, BBI's, Precision (150) and all worked good at that oal.  I've used 2.8 Clay/ClayDot or 3.0 Titegroup all with Federal 100's.  Side note I've started playing with Fiocchi SPP's and they drop velocity by 20+f/s, are much cleaner and more accurate.  They seem a bit, maybe 5%, harder to ignite.  Had to add 2-4 ounces more to the hammer fall which added .25 lbs to the Action Pull Weight.

Great data, thanks. I'm not sure where I'm at on my current load, I've had it set in the dies for quite some time. I do find that I get more ejection hangs on the 8-shot than I ever did on .45, so shorter seems better, all other things being equal.

Edit: Loaded up some 3.1 TG 160s, I can almost feel how thick the coating is on the SNS, seem like really good bullets. Hopefully I can sneak some range time in between rain storms over the next few days. I wouldn't mind 135 PF, less sweating at chrono and no worries about steel.

Edited by MattInTheHat