Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rests on a Limited .40 2011

bobbyblaze

Has anyone tried running a thumb rest (gogun) or bolted to frame type *thumb rest [generic]*, on a limited gun? what are your thoughts? do they really work better than, the conventional support hand/wrist forward grip? I see more and more shooters shooting with the thumb rest

It's going to be different for each shooter. For me I like mine. I get a more consistent grip with it. Gun does dip more with it if I'm dont consciously remind myself to not put to much pressure on the thumb rest. 

7 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

It's going to be different for each shooter. For me I like mine. I get a more consistent grip with it. Gun does dip more with it if I'm dont consciously remind myself to not put to much pressure on the thumb rest. 

thanks for that! ok, Dip before or after the shot?

I like using one because it keeps my thumb from laying on the slide.  You have to resist the temptation to crank down on the thumb rest or you risk sending followup shots off to your strong side.

3 hours ago, 11287 said:

I like the one on my Limited gun.  Makes for consistent weak hand placement.

fullsizeoutput-48.jpg

That's a nice looking pistol! question... with the thumb rest on, is it still possible to rack the slide from the front serrations without your hand from crashing into the thumb rest?

1 hour ago, bobbyblaze said:

That's a nice looking pistol! question... with the thumb rest on, is it still possible to rack the slide from the front serrations without your hand from crashing into the thumb rest?

Mine has the same style rest on the right side of the gun and the answer is yes and no. It is possible to rack the gun and not hit the rest but unless you retrain yourself you will almost always hit it. The first gun I put the rest on I dont have a racker on. I find it more awkward to pick up from a table start and harder to rack if needed on a stage. As such I've gone back and forth on keeping it on the gun. My second one has a racker and thus wont have either of those issues. 

As for the gun dipping its upon recoil. The gun wants to push down when the slide stops in the forward position and putting to much pressure on the thumb rest makes that more so. You can get rid of some of that tendency by adjusting recoil with spring weights and the rest is up to how you grip the gun. I have a pretty tight grip and when I first put the rest on would get a lot of upper A first shot and low to middle C second shots. Usually off center to the left. My 40 major load is 200gn blue bullet at 166PF. so a pretty light recoil load. Before the rest i ran a 12.5# imsi recoil spring. The little bit of testing i did after putting the rest on i had settled with a 10# imsi recoil spring. But that was maybe 200 rounds with 9-12lb springs both standard and variable of IMSI and Wolff. I stopped testing because i was going to shoot two majors back to back in SS and havent got back to limited since. When i do i still dont know if the thumb rest will be worth it. 

7 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Took mine off, was steering the gun with it.

Still think that's weird cause I use the same rest on my open guns.

FWIW

same here. I think it is because the recoil impulse is different with open guns

The Thumb Rest question keeps coming up. There isn't a universal answer that applies to everyone. All you can do is put one on our gun, head to the range and test it out yourself. I would also advise using empirical evidence (Hits on target, slow motion video and, shot timer evidence) vs what you "Feel" as the primary data points to determine if its better or not for you.

I use a thumb rest as a point to attain the same grip reference, to much pressure on it, and you'll start pushing gun around to the right. If you don't know if you'll like a thumb rest, try a Nitro Fin, it replaces the slide stop, no drilling. I have had varying luck with fit, once with no fitting, and twice with little to moderate fitting. But no work to the pistol.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, CHA-LEE said:

The Thumb Rest question keeps coming up. There isn't a universal answer that applies to everyone. All you can do is put one on our gun, head to the range and test it out yourself. I would also advise using empirical evidence (Hits on target, slow motion video and, shot timer evidence) vs what you "Feel" as the primary data points to determine if its better or not for you.

Thanks CHA-LEE... has anyone conducted this type of testing? and what was the outcome? I am having a rest added to conduct my testing.

19 minutes ago, bobbyblaze said:

Thanks CHA-LEE... has anyone conducted this type of testing? and what was the outcome? I am having a rest added to conduct my testing.

The search feature on this website is your friend. This topic has been discussed extensively on the forum. Put that existing content to use.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2021 at 1:22 PM, bobbyblaze said:

Each persons test would have varying results. On my new setup with it having an open and limited top end and me being left handed I decided to have the right side dust cover drilled and tapped. The gun is going to be on the heavy side in either configuration as I used a Cheely XWF frame, LSI steel grip, and Limcat heavy magwell. 

My test uses hit and slow mo play back of cell phone camera. Both static shooting, draw and fire, draw fire reload amd fire again. All done with a timer and a backdrop that has lines so I can see how far up/dn the gun moved.