Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2021 Locap Nats, what did you think?

rowdyb

13 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I thought the match heavily favored Minor/L10, which I think is what you are saying. The stages for the most part did a good job of playing off the Major with 8 rounds versus Minor with 10 but on the whole it felt like shooting 8 rounds was being punished.

it sort of felt like that when stage planning, but i think in reality, the number of movers, and the number of 11-15 yard targets and partial targets created a lot of opportunities to drop points. I felt like I lost a couple seconds here and there to having to do extra reloads, but if you shoot 60 charlies with minor (which isn't that many) you're about 10-15 seconds behind the guy shooting major with 60 charlies.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

it sort of felt like that when stage planning, but i think in reality, the number of movers, and the number of 11-15 yard targets and partial targets created a lot of opportunities to drop points. I felt like I lost a couple seconds here and there to having to do extra reloads, but if you shoot 60 charlies with minor (which isn't that many) you're about 10-15 seconds behind the guy shooting major with 60 charlies.

All I know is three ladies beat me down while shooting Minor while I shot Major. Well, and I also know I was still slower with Major. In the local match using the same stages I could absorb some worse hits and Mike's and still have a higher HF on some stages by just going faster. In the real match I feel I might have done better Minor but I'm not good enough to switch on the day. Ten round plans seemed better but maybe only slightly especially if you went 1 for 1. If you did that Major was way better but Minor gave you lots of room to make up bad shots.

I did like that there seemed to be compelling trade-offs between 8 and 10 round plans

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

All I know is three ladies beat me down while shooting Minor while I shot Major. Well, and I also know I was still slower with Major.

Those 3 ladies are badass shooters. I shoot against Jalise pretty regularly, and while we went back and forth for a few years, she has opened up a gap on me the last year or two, and she rarely seems to make mental mistakes.

I'd guess personal preference and strength/skill may play into the major/minor thing too. I'm a grown man, so I shoot the same speed with either one. Once I figured that out I stopped shooting minor entirely.

12 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

Those 3 ladies are badass shooters. I shoot against Jalise pretty regularly, and while we went back and forth for a few years, she has opened up a gap on me the last year or two, and she rarely seems to make mental mistakes.

I'd guess personal preference and strength/skill may play into the major/minor thing too. I'm a grown man, so I shoot the same speed with either one. Once I figured that out I stopped shooting minor entirely.

Oh, they are all better than me. Just looking at Randi, who wom ladies, she had the only perfect score on Stage 20. So, yeah, she shot lots of points. Still, I didn't lose on points but rather time. I don't want to shoot Minor when I can shoot Major since I'm not exactly a 2A kinda person, more an AC kind. 

Regardless of points, I do think 10 rds had a sizable enough advantage to make it viable at this year's Nats. Now that I know why, I might try Minor in SStk at a, uh, major if it has similar stages. But for Nats? Major is the default if you can't do both.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:59 PM, euxx said:

Can't say anything about repairing chronograph. But you can see what was entered for him at chrono in the match results.

Screenshot_20210511-085836.thumb.png.985fa71546eddea3ce7e370a6c68ea53.png

So they don’t bother to actually weigh bullets?

if they don’t weigh the projectiles they might as well not bother testing the velocity either. 

6 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

So they don’t bother to actually weigh bullets?

if they don’t weigh the projectiles they might as well not bother testing the velocity either. 

They weighed bullets

1 minute ago, Bagellord said:

They weighed bullets

thanks for clarifying. I just saw the bullet weight in a pic someone posted of chrono results and it showed 124.0*. I assumed from the fact that it was dead on 124gn and had an * next to it that they were going off  ‘declared’ bullet weight. At that point you may as well just go off declared PF and save the hassle. But if they weighed bullets at least they made an effort to check PF. :)

On 5/19/2021 at 2:37 AM, Twinkie said:

All I know is three ladies beat me down while shooting Minor while I shot Major. Well, and I also know I was still slower with Major. In the local match using the same stages I could absorb some worse hits and Mike's and still have a higher HF on some stages by just going faster. In the real match I feel I might have done better Minor but I'm not good enough to switch on the day. Ten round plans seemed better but maybe only slightly especially if you went 1 for 1. If you did that Major was way better but Minor gave you lots of room to make up bad shots.

I did like that there seemed to be compelling trade-offs between 8 and 10 round plans

im not a SS guy but if you’re serious about SS you need a major and minor setup because for SS matches come in 3 flavors:

balanced

minor friendly

major friendly

from what I’ve seen not many matches fall into the balanced category and overall it seems the types of stages at big matches give the edge to shooting with 10+1 over 8+1 and getting 4 point Charlie’s. 

I think it you wanted to commit to one gun for SS it’d be a 9mm minor. Otherwise I think it makes sense to have both options and decide based on what the match looks like. 

it’s probably the only major/minor division where the choice is not 100% easy. 

I shot the battle in the bluegrass for 8 of its 10 years and don't remember minor ever winning or even sitting in the top 5/10 with any regularity, and this was a SS-PROD match with balanced stages.  Perhaps look into the history of that west coast SS match every year for more comparisons (lots of GM in SS at both)

When the top 18 shoot major at locap, and they are the big names, I'm going to say it was balanced or major friendly.

Now, and average shooter may do better with the extra rounds as we may take more makeups.

2 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

I assumed from the fact that it was dead on 124gn and had an * next to it that they were going off  ‘declared’ bullet weight.

The "*" symbol indicates the used weigh, when more than one weight is entered in the app. The app makes no assumptions about weight being declared or bullets being weighted.

3 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

im not a SS guy but if you’re serious about SS you need a major and minor setup because for SS matches come in 3 flavors:

balanced

minor friendly

major friendly

from what I’ve seen not many matches fall into the balanced category and overall it seems the types of stages at big matches give the edge to shooting with 10+1 over 8+1 and getting 4 point Charlie’s. 

I think it you wanted to commit to one gun for SS it’d be a 9mm minor. Otherwise I think it makes sense to have both options and decide based on what the match looks like. 

it’s probably the only major/minor division where the choice is not 100% easy. 

I'm serious about SS and I used to think that. Then I decided to just man up and shoot major and learn to reload hella fast and stop making excuses. I've had more success with that approach. It's worth noting however that my thoughts on the topic changed as my skill level improved. IMHO the better you are, the less reason there is to shoot minor (assuming you have normal hand strength).

Edited by motosapiens

16 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

I'm serious about SS and I used to think that. Then I decided to just man up and shoot major and learn to reload hella fast and stop making excuses. I've had more success with that approach. It's worth noting however that my thoughts on the topic changed as my skill level improved. IMHO the better you are, the less reason there is to shoot minor (assuming you have normal hand strength).

I definitely agree with this, for major matches at least. Now local matches, your mileage may vary.

1 minute ago, Bagellord said:

I definitely agree with this, for major matches at least. Now local matches, your mileage may vary.

there is some truth to that. I get frustrated with the stages (other than the ones I build, lol) at local matches, but I only shoot SS locally when I have a major match in SS coming up, so I just suck it up and figure it's good practice to have an empty gun start at 3 arrays of 8 mini-poppers.