Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum Revo Wood Grips

Bill Schwab

I have a few Magnum S&W’s I want to upgrade. It’ll be 90+% two-handed shooting, and I’ll probably shoot some bowling pin matches. Must work with speedloaders. Looking for something that fits my hands better, looks better, and perhaps most importantly helps distribute the recoil. Currently using Hogue rubber monogrips, and find the palm swell to be too small, and the finger grooves too pronounced. I have medium/large sized hands and need an open back so I can comfortably reach the trigger for DA shooting. Herrett’s email isn’t working, and Ahrends is no longer accepting new orders. Altamont grip fit seems to be sketchy. JM grips were too small, and years ago I tried Jordan’s and didn’t get a warm & fuzzy. I want quality, so I am willing to pay for a set of Nill grips. Any suggestions?

Contact Hogue, they can actually create a grip for you in wood, rubber or a combo.

You may even want to look at the "Big Butts", I do not lie!

Edited by pskys2

Try the Pachmayr Gripper grips.   I have average hands with a deep palm and these mitigate recoil for me though many find them aesthetically not pleasing.  I have never liked the Hogue mono grips for the reason you state.  That said, Hogue as a company is excellent to work with

I LIKE big buts!

And I cannot lie.

They remind me of a set of Herritt Handgun Hunter grips I had on a Contender years ago.

Big But fill the hand and spread recoil. They also come in many configurations.

Edited by Dr. Phil

What you want to look for in a grip like that is one that has a wide amount of wood on each side at the top, with a generous radius going from back to sides. Many grips are just too skinny at the top for a heavy recoil gun.

My Frankenstein grip was built around the idea of providing maximum surface for my weak hand to find purchase, a good chunk for the base of my strong hand, and maximum clearance for moonclip ejection and trigger finger. Thick on the bottom strong side, thick on the upper weak side. thin at the top both sides. I don't really feel recoil at the top of my hand but that's just .45 ACP, so different recoil amount. I might have to hit up Hogue to build a proper one.

Edited by MattInTheHat

1 minute ago, missed it by that much said:

I have the Herret checkered grips which are affordable and custom made. They have several options. You trace your hand and send it with your order info. I have them on three of my revolvers. 

20210510_192608.jpg

20210510_193717.jpg

Love them, but I cannot reach Herrett's...I've tried email and phone.