Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine to activate a prop

japarker82

10 hours ago, NETim said:

Our commercially made stomp boxes would need a crate of mags dumped on them to activate.  :)

This is why it's funny to watch. Because it's almost never a serious competitor that try it and it becomes a very epic fail. 

12 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

This is why it's funny to watch. Because it's almost never a serious competitor that try it and it becomes a very epic fail. 

I dunno---I've seen Manny Bragg do it several times in situations in which he thought it could save him time, and repeatedly succeed.

I do agree that most people doing it end up screwing it up, or having it take more time anyway.

It's legal, so it is all good.

Even if it works, saving time on one prop on one stage won't make you a better shooter. And if you're a contender, you will only try it if it won't cost you extra time in case you miss. But it's always fun when people try different things. 

On 5/10/2021 at 7:51 AM, EEH said:

Also seen mag thrown and miss activator, then have to step on it . Funny’s 

I've done that as well as do a reload next to the box before engaging array and have the mag hit the pressure pad for a premature activation.

What I want to know is if anyone has ever done it and saved enough time to win a major, that is the only way I could see even trying it.  I damn sure wouldn't through a 150 dollar mag to win a local.

I don't recall if he won his division (may have?), but Blake Miguez pulled a move with activating one of 3 activators by throwing a magazine at it in the 2004 Area 4 match. IIRC, there were 3 clamshells activated by 3 stomp pads. Some ran it 'straight up' while he decided to use a mag on one of the 3. It created a huge controversy at the time and was even written up in FrontSight. 

Unfortunately the link to the video is now a 404. Maybe somebody has another source?

Here's a thread with a video of Manny Bragg using a magazine to activate a pad at the 2011 nationals (looks like Las Vegas). His smooth move comes at 0:20 in the video.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:59 PM, ClangClang said:

It got a good laugh out of the squad and worked pretty well. Had the fastest time on the stage within my classification.

That one didn't save you time and looked like it was just for fun. Like most of the magazine activations... 

1 hour ago, IVC said:

That one didn't save you time and looked like it was just for fun. Like most of the magazine activations... 

It was definitely just for fun but I do think it saved about a half second. Otherwise, when you approached the port you had to knock it open and wait for it to fall before acquiring sights.

5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing: 
5.2.7.1 A shoulder holster or “tie-down” rig (visible or otherwise), except 
as specified in Rule 5.2.8. 

5.2.8 allows it for full time LEOs. 

Definition:

Tie-down rig A holster where any part is strapped or rigidly attached to a 
competitor’s leg.