Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

front sight colt government serie 70 ..

Look at the inside of the slide where the sight is mounted.  If there are two holes, replacement will be difficult as those are no longer made.

If there is a single staking hole, then replacement is to find a suitable tenon sight to replace it.  I think Series 70's had the narrow tenon.  The two hole mounting was to provide greater strength.

Alternate is to have a dovetail milled into the slide to take one of the various dovetail type sights.

Will you be changing the rear sight as well?  The problem with larger front sights (larger than teh factory) is that the tenon may not hold as well.  This is a primary reason dovetail sights became popular.

Why do you want to change it?

5 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

Look at the inside of the slide where the sight is mounted.  If there are two holes, replacement will be difficult as those are no longer made.

If there is a single staking hole, then replacement is to find a suitable tenon sight to replace it.  I think Series 70's had the narrow tenon.  The two hole mounting was to provide greater strength.

Alternate is to have a dovetail milled into the slide to take one of the various dovetail type sights.

Will you be changing the  rear sight as well?  The problem with larger front sights (larger than teh factory) is that the tenon may not hold as well.  This is a primary reason dovetail sights became popular.

Why do you want to change it?

hey .. there are two holes . and yes I want to change the rear and front just to upgrade it.

if it is difficult to change the front sight maybe just let in there,  and change the rear .

With regard to ambi thumb safeties, it's mostly what lever/paddle size and shape you like, and what method of joining the two sides.  The EGW mentioned used an extended sear pin to keep the two sides together, as I recall.  Others may use the original Swenson method of the through pin joining in the middle with a tongue in groove sort of arrangement.

Some say the tongue in groove is prone to breakage, but I have never seen it, though I expect it has happened.

Regarding the front sight.  I believe the only way to really "fix" the two holes is to weld them, then proceed with the new sight installation.  Talk to you gunsmith.

6 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

With regard to ambi thumb safeties, it's mostly what lever/paddle size and shape you like, and what method of joining the two sides.  The EGW mentioned used an extended sear pin to keep the two sides together, as I recall.  Others may use the original Swenson method of the through pin joining in the middle with a tongue in groove sort of arrangement.

Some say the tongue in groove is prone to breakage, but I have never seen it, though I expect it has happened.

Regarding the front sight.  I believe the only way to really "fix" the two holes is to weld them, then proceed with the new sight installation.  Talk to you gunsmith.

thanks for the advice

6 hours ago, Guy Neill said:

thanks for the advise