Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best PCC style magazine


Recommended Posts

So I bought a PSA AR-V essential kit!   Shot it twice after tweaking the buffer system it is 100% reliable - LOL  The PSA mag seem well built and feeds reliable.  Sure does load easy  

Link to comment
On 5/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, philmadxx said:

 

 

So...a gun that is 100% reliable still doesn't have it right?  That's funny.  Only Tacom and Ruger can get it right?  Rugers PCC jam almost as much as rimfire carbines.  Not sure about the tacom ramp - don't need one.  

 

  

 

I think you need to re-read that.......JP's are probably one of the few out that has the reputation of feeding very well. I am happy that yours feeds 100%.....still doesn't mean they got it right. And yes......people have installed our feed ramp on JP PCC carbines as well as our barrels, so much for 100% for the masses eh?

Link to comment
On 5/19/2021 at 9:32 PM, rpm8300 said:

FWIW - I ran a Ruger PC flawlessly as a backup gun - I ran it at Area 8 in 2020 and got 2nd place in PCC overall.  The platform is pretty solid - it worked with every type of mag and ammo I threw at it.  The cheap looking plastic 40 round ETS mag was my primary match mag for Area 8.  The steel MBX mags also worked well. 

 

I run my PC Carbine for Steel Challenge and also found that the ETS 40's work well, better than the 30's for some reason.  It's just a hog on weight though.  Especially when you are shooting the PC Carbine and an ultra lightweight 10/22 in the same session.  I'm debating selling the PC Carbine and going with the AR-V and lightweight parts just to go faster.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

 

I run my PC Carbine for Steel Challenge and also found that the ETS 40's work well, better than the 30's for some reason.  It's just a hog on weight though.  Especially when you are shooting the PC Carbine and an ultra lightweight 10/22 in the same session.  I'm debating selling the PC Carbine and going with the AR-V and lightweight parts just to go faster.

Why do you use 40 (or even 30) round magazines for Steel Challenge?  If you want to save weight run 10 or 15/17-round magazines.  I use Glock G26 mags in my PCC's for Steel Challenge and they are the lightest you can get.  

Link to comment
1 hour ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Why do you use 40 (or even 30) round magazines for Steel Challenge?  If you want to save weight run 10 or 15/17-round magazines.  I use Glock G26 mags in my PCC's for Steel Challenge and they are the lightest you can get.  

 

With the weight of the PC Carbine, the 40 round mags are not that big of a deal.  The weight is from the rifle,  the full mag is a non-issue.    I know I could use multiple mags, but that's not how I roll.  I find that having to change mags every string throws me off.  Even if I went with the multi-mag route it doesn't change the fact that the PC Carbine is nearly twice the weight of my 10/22.  But the point of the post was that the 40's work better than the 30's for some reason. 

Link to comment
11 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

 

I run my PC Carbine for Steel Challenge and also found that the ETS 40's work well, better than the 30's for some reason.  It's just a hog on weight though.  Especially when you are shooting the PC Carbine and an ultra lightweight 10/22 in the same session.  I'm debating selling the PC Carbine and going with the AR-V and lightweight parts just to go faster.

Yes it is way too heavy - its a great backup gun based on simplicity and reliability - for steel challenge, I would definitely run something lighter.

Link to comment
On 5/28/2021 at 9:43 PM, rpm8300 said:

Yes it is way too heavy - its a great backup gun based on simplicity and reliability - for steel challenge, I would definitely run something lighter.

Thats what I'm looking at now.  I will also say that my current PC Carbine setup is awesome for PCCI with my Tandemkross Upriser chassis.  Would probably hold on to it just for that.

Link to comment
On 6/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, bigdawgbeav said:

Thats what I'm looking at now.  I will also say that my current PC Carbine setup is awesome for PCCI with my Tandemkross Upriser chassis.  Would probably hold on to it just for that.

The PC Carbine could make an oustanding steel challenge gun in that the recoil system can easily be modified to handle really light loads - it is just one spring and the weights in the bolt can be removed.  I bet you can run sub minfor PF easily.  TACCOM 3G has a light weight handguard.  

Another good thing about the Ruger PC is realiability when dirty - this gun runs for days - not finaky with ammo or heavy use at all.

Link to comment

So I have PC Carbine all tricked out Wiland lite barrel, TACCOM guard. Tandemkross Upriser - still heavy for SC - have several AR-9s and AR-V with TACCOM setups and all run faster. I have no issues with any of the Glock, Colt and Scorpion mag feeding.  I do have a CMMG RDB gun with 2000 rounds and have no failure with FTE that some claim. Guess I am just lucky

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

On my ATI lower, I corrected the magazine angle problem (and it was really loose) with JB weld in the lower back inside of the mag well. Then repositioned the ejector (that also is the magazine limit stop) to the correct angle.  No issues for two years with any mag I have used since. 

Link to comment
On 6/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, Texaspaul said:

So I have PC Carbine all tricked out Wiland lite barrel, TACCOM guard. Tandemkross Upriser - still heavy for SC - have several AR-9s and AR-V with TACCOM setups and all run faster. I have no issues with any of the Glock, Colt and Scorpion mag feeding.  I do have a CMMG RDB gun with 2000 rounds and have no failure with FTE that some claim. Guess I am just lucky

When did Wiland start making a barrel for the PC Carbine?

Link to comment

They do them custom - you send your barrel to them - they modify it to 5 inch and add a shroud. Drops half the weight, real cool!  I started with a plain PC carbine and modified it - the only thing that is stock is the main receive frame, barrel connection system and bolt. Every thing else is updated/changed. It is a real nice gun, just still to heavy.  If I were to do it again, I would buy a PC charger, have Wiland shroud the barrel to 16 inches and add a rifle stock and TACCOM shroud or just add a foam grip to the Wiland shrouded barrel. The one thing that is different about the Wiland modified barrel is he can not get rid of the sight mount on the rifle barrel so you still have that flat spot. I think it is ugly but total functional.  If you use the charger setup, there is no sight mount on that barrel so it should be much cleaner!  I have the Tandemkross Upriser stock the does move the mag release to a much more usable spot.  I do not remember who made a different mag release for the standard chassis that moved it back?  If it would work on the charger chassis then that would solve the issues with standard mag release for me.  

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...