Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

federal primers management?

davsco

ok, win and cci you just open the box and they lay flat - easy to pick up with primer tube.

fed's are on their sides.  some come out top up, some top down, and half come out on their sides.  pita to get them oriented for the primer tube.  what trick or tool am i missing?

1 hour ago, davsco said:

new to reloading.  no issues using other brands that just come out flat.  will check out flip tray.  any rec's?

They're old school but will get them all oriented anvil-down like you need.

Small riges 'grab' the lip as you shake the tray and cause them all to roll over anvil-up. Then you put the cover on, turn it over, and they're positioned as you need.

HTH

received the rcbs primer tray.  very pleasantly surprised how quickly it got all the sideways and upside down primers right side up!

federal must package them on their sides for safety reasons, because they're definitely a larger form factor than the others (ie costlier packaging and shipping) and not easier to handle for their customers.

7 hours ago, davsco said:

received the rcbs primer tray.  very pleasantly surprised how quickly it got all the sideways and upside down primers right side up!

federal must package them on their sides for safety reasons, because they're definitely a larger form factor than the others (ie costlier packaging and shipping) and not easier to handle for their customers.

Yeah I read somewhere years ago that’s it’s a safety issue. 

I asked the same question about Federal primer packaging. Someone told me, that years ago, apparently, a whole pallet of Federal primers was set off accidentally while they were packaged like Winchester and CCI primers, and Federal changed their packaging to prevent such an occurrence from happening again.

Yes, We Shooters of Revolvers with Limber Springs know that Federals are more sensitive.

They have to have more separation in the packaging for shipping safety.

One early use of flip trays, besides loading automatic feeds, was to get them all anvil side up so you could check that they all HAD anvils.  Manufacturing has gotten more consistent, you hardly ever (but not never) hear of a primer without anvil, foil, or pellet. 

Edited by Jim Watson

17 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I asked the same question about Federal primer packaging. Someone told me, that years ago, apparently, a whole pallet of Federal primers was set off accidentally while they were packaged like Winchester and CCI primers, and Federal changed their packaging to prevent such an occurrence from happening again.

That's the story I've always heard.