Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different optics between strings?

DukeSoprano

2 part related question

On a 3 string stage (Classifier) can a PCC user turn on a laser for 1 of the 3 strings or does it have to remain on or off throughout the whole stage?

Also if a PCC user is on a long stage and headed to a hard lean can he turn on a laser if he didn't start the stage with it on?

Thank you.

Duke

There are no rules specifying how to use a laser, just that it is allowed (D8-16). However, screwing around with a laser while on the clock is wasted time. You should have a plan for the hard lean before "Make Ready"! Also, changing sighting techniques between classifier strings is probably a distraction. Report back after you try these ideas...

Later,

Chuck

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

There are no rules specifying how to use a laser, just that it is allowed (D8-16). However, screwing around with a laser while on the clock is wasted time. You should have a plan for the hard lean before "Make Ready"! Also, changing sighting techniques between classifier strings is probably a distraction. Report back after you try these ideas...

Later,

Chuck

As a comment, the switch for the laser on my PCC is where I can easily put my thumb on it.  (The laser is literally made so it can be turned on and off easily and quickly.)  As such, turning it on during a run isn't wasted time at all--it makes no difference to my time.  And not having it on during the rest of the stage means fewer visual distractions while I'm shooting other things.

To the OP:  PCC folks can turn on/off lasers whenever they like.  No rules against it.

I use a green laser and a red dot to prevent confusion on my PCC.  Some might be able to do this, but it might confuse others.  I would think using a red laser with a red dot would be impossible to distinguish the difference from one another at speed.  I typically only use a laser if a shot can be made from the stock on belt start (or any other position where the PCC can be shot without moving it)  and the laser can be used to sight the gun for instant shots once the start timer goes off.  

Overall I find lasers used in very few instances on PCC and find using a DOT much quicker during any course of fire.   From observing others and myself using a laser it would seem we are waiting on the laser to shoot.  Sounds counter intuitive but that's what it seems like to me.  I can see how it would be used on hard leans to gain a very small advantage, but you better be sure the laser will illuminate on the target if it can't be tested during make ready.

As @Thomas H mentioned, I usually turn the laser off after I use it for the initial shot(s) in that the laser is placed in a manner it can but turned off or on with the thumb with my natural off hand grip on the hand guard.  I will say I have yet found a good reason to turn the laser on after the start timer goes off.  It will be turned on before the start timer goes off, and typically turned off after those first couple of shots. 

If you are not practicing using both in dry fire and live fire most likely mistakes will be made at speed during  a course of fire.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:03 AM, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

My take on rules in a competition is to  

use everything to your advantage unless the rules specifically say you can’t. 

Sounds like every GM I ever met in a match.  That was just one tool in their tool box.