Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has made the switch - from open to limited and vice aversa??

Ozy

Eye aches from trying to focus on the front sight forced me out of Limited.  I now shoot Open.  A retina problem means there is no chance of ever going back.  Brcause of that, every pistol I own wears a dot.

Hello, I just shoot one till I get bored and then try something else. So far this year I have shot Open, Limited and Carry Optics. Next maybe PCC or Single Stack. It is fun for me to use a red dot and then iron sights. I do find shooting Open has made me a better Limited shooter. Thanks, Eric

I went from Limited to Open a couple of years ago.....Old eyes were my driving force...really glad I did..optics will extend my ability to shoot for a longer period of time and the bonus I no longer wear corrective lenses to shoot pistol and optic rifle...Other than mechanical problems ...Open is a blast....

I went from when everybody shot a 1911 .45 single stack to Open (Also a 1911 Single stack with a comp).  Did Limited followed by Limited 10, just for fun got classified in Revolver.  Left USPSA for 3-Gun.  Bought a PCC and discovered I could shoot it in USPSA.  Got a B classification in PCC.  Recently shot Production  twice and decided it sucked.  Just shot my first Carry Optic match. As you might guess, I'm a veteran Super Senior.

I started in open. My first match was limited, but I wasn’t sure what to expect. I saw people shooting open and decided that I wanted to do that. I later switched to PCC, but now I shoot strictly limited and enjoy every minute of it. Not having to double plug is quite nice 

I started in limited and found out that my eyes were just too old. Switched to carry optic and have been doing a lot better. We have a weekly steel match here and thought I would try shooting the other divisions. I have a corrective insert for my eyeware that has distance in the left eye and the right eye is set for the front sight. After shooting carry optic for over a year I was very surprised that I was able to make the transition to production, then to limited-10. Not sure if I’m going to limited than open but I was able to train my 62 year old eyes to see my front sight and target. In USPSA Im a “B” in carry optic and production and “C” in Open and PCC and a “D” in limited. There’s a thread about shielding the red dot or front sight from your right eye and using both eyes to make target transitions. 

I went from Limited to Open about 30 years ago when the first Aimpoints became available for pistols.  It really improved my shooting.  I still had my Limited gun and decided to shoot it on action.  I'd shoot both guns at some matches using Open first.  Over the years I've learned that I shoot my Limited gun much better now since I've learned how important it was to concentrate on the sight.

I made Master in ICORE with both guns.  One balances the other and you will get better by shooting both.

This is my second attempt at Open from iron sights. Very very hard for me to make the switch and really utilize the additional horsepower.

I feel like I'm driving a Maserati to the grocery store. Feels good.....looks good.....but I'm not optimizing the platform. 

started as limited 1911 SS. after 3 years built for myself few open guns on cz75 platform . competed  10 y. as sponsored shooter .

retired after 17 years from ipsc . didn't shoot  16 y .  now shoot  with limited for fun . 

• 3 weeks later...

I started straight in limited right off the bat as a new shooter. A lot of my buddies were shooting open at the time and I didn’t have the funds so I went to Carry Optics.  I knew that my reloads really sucked so after about a year, I jumped into single stack to work on those reloads. I never gave PCC a fair shake but now I’m back to open and seriously considering running that 929 in Revo.

I was shooting IDPA for several years before going into USPSA.  I had a Glock 35 so my first time shooting USPSA was in limited.  I went from a Glock 35 to an Akai limited and continued to shoot limited for about four years.  Got the bug to shoot Open and sold my Akai and had a Freedom Gunworks 9 major built.  Then shoot Open for about five years and switch to PCC which I have been shooting for about two years, but I am getting the Open bug again.  I really enjoyed shooting Open.