Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 cylinder question.

xjwalt666

Has anyone ever reamed a 929 cylinder for 38 super length? My dad uses a 929 for bowling pins. And I've come up with a decent load for it with 158gr bullets but it still doesn't have quite enough. He dead set on keeping it rather than upgrade to a 627 or 625. I know there is an anti corrosive coating on the 929 to prohibit erosion and wasn't sure if this could be done or not. Anyone done it or know of a smith that could?  

13 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Fairly common knowledge that 9x21 cases fit the 929.

Starline has them

It would give you 2mm more room or.078 in length of the case

I

Does the starline 9x21 have the same sticky extraction issues as the 9x19? 

14 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Even if you did you don't want to take the pressures up to Major PF in the 929.  Heard a few have permanently disassembled theirs that way.

I'm not so much wanting to reach major pf. More so trying to figure a way around the sticky extraction issues. I was thinking about sending it to pinnacle and have him work on it. He has a service that he teams the cylinder and chamfers it and cuts them a little deeper to see if that helps. I'd prefer my dad just upgrade but like I said, he's stubborn. 

1 hour ago, xjwalt666 said:

I'm not so much wanting to reach major pf. More so trying to figure a way around the sticky extraction issues. I was thinking about sending it to pinnacle and have him work on it. He has a service that he teams the cylinder and chamfers it and cuts them a little deeper to see if that helps. I'd prefer my dad just upgrade but like I said, he's stubborn. 

Unless you're using Star Line brass or using a super fast powder-extra heavy bullet combination, what extraction issues do they have?

10 hours ago, PatJones said:

Unless you're using Star Line brass or using a super fast powder-extra heavy bullet combination, what extraction issues do they have?

I'm getting some over pressure issues. Causing the moon lips to push out a bit and then the case expands and binds up the cylinder from moving. 

I'm using range brass and loading 158gr lead rn from bang and clang with 4gr of hs6. I'm working on some other loads but haven't found much to work with the 158's. 

Edited by xjwalt666

1 hour ago, xjwalt666 said:

I'm getting some over pressure issues. Causing the moon lips to push out a bit and then the case expands and binds up the cylinder from moving. 

I'm using range brass and loading 158gr lead rn from bang and clang with 4gr of hs6. I'm working on some other loads but haven't found much to work with the 158's. 

Try all one head stamp. And try sizing with a super die then 9mm.

13 hours ago, xjwalt666 said:

Have you considered using a 147 grain bullet?

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

Have you considered using a 147 grain bullet?

I have tried a couple 147's. I think I am going to go back to them and try again. Like I said he uses them for bowling pins, and the 158's work better. I need to find a good flat point or hollow point to try. 

Do you have to knock the pins off the table? I shoot at The Pin shoot, and a 9mm won’t be competitive.   They are not reliable to push pins off a table 3.5’ deep.   Most revolvers are 45 ACP with 230-255, 38 special loads with 230gr wad cutters, or .357 mag with 230 wad cutters. Obviously the 44s & up work as well too.   Typically heavier the bullets the better.   Good luck in you competitions!

With extraction, I’ve read the nickel plates brass works better.   My 986 has the same issues….  I’ve tried separating all the brass, undersize dies, and my last ditch effort will be nickel brass.   I use 145gr bullets in mine with 3.1TG. 

I tried 9x21but it doesn’t fit….  My father in law has the 929 & they didn’t work in his either.

Edited by pcschwenke

2 hours ago, pcschwenke said:

With extraction, I’ve read the nickel plates brass works better.   My 986 has the same issues….  I’ve tried separating all the brass, undersize dies, and my last ditch effort will be nickel brass.   I use 145gr bullets in mine with 3.1TG. 

I tried 9x21but it doesn’t fit….  My father in law has the 929 & they didn’t work in his either.

Try sizing with a super die and then 9mm die...

21 hours ago, pcschwenke said:

Do you have to knock the pins off the table? I shoot at The Pin shoot, and a 9mm won’t be competitive.   They are not reliable to push pins off a table 3.5’ deep.   Most revolvers are 45 ACP with 230-255, 38 special loads with 230gr wad cutters, or .357 mag with 230 wad cutters. Obviously the 44s & up work as well too.   Typically heavier the bullets the better.   Good luck in you competitions!

The table is 2-3ft deep. You have to knock them off. He actually does pretty well with the 9mm. Heavy 38's and 45 are what are mostly used but he holds his own with 9. 

19 hours ago, pcschwenke said:

Hmm maybe I'll try the nickel brass. I found a v comp local today so he may finally end up giving in and upgrading.