Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UM Tactical Rage for 9mm PCC?

Anyone use one on 9mm? Kind of heavy. 

Got a used pinned & welded JP 9mm Super Match 14.5" 9mm barrel with a Rage Tactical adjustable comp attached. I have one on my PCC with the JP tactical comp. 

Knowing that most comps don't do much with fast powders and having shot open 9/38S and tuned several AR comps I am familiar with how they work. 

This was setup up with max downforce, only got to zero it this weekend due to weather, but it shot dead on at 15 yards, but couldn't really shoot enough to see how it works. Will shoot a match this weekend. 

Any advice? Is it just a muzzle weight?

gerritm

• 1 month later...

After shooting this for about a month, here is what we have found.

This 9mm PCC comp actually works. With the adjustable segments you can get what gasses are available to have a certain amount of down force & movement. After playing with it I got it from torqueing the barrel right & down to a neutral push back and no dipping of the red dot. This is by using the different segments in sequence and experimenting with your load.

Now for the cons. It is on the heavy side. Not bad, but you know it is there. 

Seems to collect carbon & lead. I have had to clean it after every couple of hundred rounds and this is even after using factory ammo. It is fairly easy to clean, by removing the end and segments and then cleaning the ports. Segments don't seem to have any build up. Zero doesn't change after disassembly and reassembly.

Might be interesting to try on a 5.56. They are available in several different calibers. 

gerritm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used one on my scorpion for a very long time.  I’m going to be honest and say I didn’t notice any different in muzzle response from the stock scorpion compensator. 

I think to really get compensator effect from the muzzle, you need 10-12” barrels with pin and weld comps.  
It doesn’t seem to me that there is a relevant amount of gas behind 9mm to do much past 14”.  

I got mine from a friend and for a good price.  I definitely would not have paid full price for one.

This is on a JP 14.5 pinned/welded barrel. Having been an open shooter, I fully understand slow powders and gas needed for a comp to work efficiently, this comp works. We tested it using titegroup powder loads making just over PF.

Using the different combo of segments you could absolutely feel what direction the barrel moves. Recoil back was about the same on all, but what direction the dot moved and how it pushed against your hand on the guard was noticeable. Definitely directing the gas. 

She has been shooting it for a couple of thousand round and it has a  very predictable dot movement. The carbon/lead build up in the segments is still fairly heavy, but manageable. The pcc is fairly light and the comp is on the heavier side, but she likes the way it swings and settles.

gerritm