Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with load data for RMR 147gr MW FP and RN in 9mm

FlyNavyP3

Greetings all! 

Although I’m not new to handloading, I am new to 9mm. With the current shortage, we’re all sourcing supplies wherever we can. That landed me with 1000 each of Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR) 147 gr Match Winner FP and RN bullets to load for my two PCC’s.

The goal with 147 gr was to load inexpensive, fun, reliable sub-sonic ammo for use in a 16” AR-9 and an 8.5” SBR. While testing COL and plunk testing ammo in my Faxon 8.5” barrel, I had no issues at any COL with either bullet. However, in the 16” barrel, I must load the RN at 1.100” and MW FP to 1.085” to allow 0.010” of clearance to the leade. I don’t want to have ammo dedicated to a gun; that seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Since I’m in the never-never land with no load data for these particular bullets, I’m trying to interpret other 147 gr load data for a safe starting load to work up from. Other published Data (save for Hornady XTP at 1.10”) lists a much longer COL than will chamber in my 16” barrel. I would like to use Titegroup since I have 3#, and I don’t really like it that much in my 45 ACP. However, I do have HP-38/W231 on hand in quantity. Other powders on hand Unique, Clays, Universal, Red Dot, Blue Dot, Bullseye, 296/H110, 2400. My preference is to use the Titegroup to start, but I’m open to thoughts/opinions.

Load data available:

Lyman 49th 147 TMJ @ 1.115" 3.2-3.6 Titegroup

Lyman 49th 147 Cast Lead FP @ 1.058" 2.5-2.8 Titegroup

Hodgdon Data 147 XTP @ 1.100" 3.2-3.6 Titegroup

Hodgdon Data 145 Acme RN CTD @ 1.150" 2.9-3.4 Titegroup

I was thinking about starting with 2.5 gr of Titegroup in both the RN and MW FP, but I wanted to see if you guys thought this passed the “sniff test” before I did anything silly. COL would be 1.100” on the RN and 1.085” on the MW FP. Both rounds chamber and eject well at those lengths when tested as dummy loads. However, I need to put a pretty firm crimp on the case to prevent significant setback when chambering. No crimp at all results in a minimum 0.015 setback, a light crimp is still 0.010-0.015, and a heavy crimp (heavy enough to see it in the jacket of pulled bullets) still results in a 0.002-0.005 setback. Even with a heavy crimp (made with Lee Factory Crimp/sizing die set at 3/4 of a turn past touch), the round still headspaces adequately on the case mouth. 

Interested in everyone’s thoughts. I know it’s a heck of a first post.

Cheers,

Luke

I think 2.5 of TG is going to be quite low, dirty and may not work the action. Myself I wouldn’t be afraid of trying the 3.2g Tight Group load for starters. The 231/HP38 should work good too and may be a bit cleaner. 

I'd get the 16" throated so you can load longer and be safer pressure-wise.  You are running blowback guns, so the consequences of a case head separation, etc. are significant.  Also, if you want the same load for each barrel, your 16" is going to deliver more velocity than the 8.5.  If you are planning on mouse fart loads for steel challenge, Clays is fine and the velocities will match more closely.  The bullet will actually be slowing near the end of the 16.  If you have to make PF, use the TG (ugh) or the RD.  Bullseye is too dirty to use in an inherently dirty running PCC. Any of your slower powders will magnify the velocity differences between the barrels.

If you can find them (no problem around here)  Alliant e2 for sub-minor and barely minor and Sport Pistol for minor are really good choices.  e3 has none of the spikeyness of Clays, so you can safely go to 132 PF. 

Name: 9mm: 147gr Xtreme RN: Win 231 3.5gr: Mix Case: OAL 1.145
Notes: Para 1911 5"
Shots: 8
Average: 920 ft/s
SD: 16 ft/s
Min: 903 ft/s
Max: 949 ft/s
Spread: 46 ft/s
Power Factor Average: 135
Power Factor Low: 132
Power Factor High: 139
Barometric Pressure: 30 in Hg
Temperature: 62 F
Weight: 147.0 gr.
Powder: Win 231 / 3.5
Case: Mixed
Bullet: 147
Gun: Para 1911

Hello, I was loading 2.8 grains of Tite Group in my Sig MPX 8" and it gave me 140PF with 145's. I think you are on the right path at 2.5 grains of Tite Group at 1.100" OAL. People say Tite Group is dirty but it cleans up easily and will not stop the gun from running. A simple wipe down with a cotton rag works. It may not be the softest shooting but it's a rifle so just shoot it. Thanks, Eric

• 3 months later...

I have some of the same RMR RN 147s and in my CZ 75 they'd need to be loaded to the same COAL as you found (1.100") to reliably stay out of the rifling.  I ended up just not loading them since I couldn't convince myself it'd be safe to seat that deeply (it works out to a seating depth of .324" or so).  Some day I'll load something with them for one of my guns with a longer throat.

The regularly available 147 RN bullets I've found I can easily and safely load in that CZ with the short throat are Berry's and Xtreme plated (I target 1.155" for both of those), and Precision Delta FMJ (1.140").  I use 3.3gn of titegroup for all three loads which ends up around 130-133pf in the CZ SP-01.

49 minutes ago, Sinister4 said:

never had any issues with the 1.100 in my glocks be it 124 or 147's  

Looks like you're talking about the MWs though; I'm talking about RNs.  I'm guessing the 147gn MWs aren't seating .324" deep at 1.100" like the RNs are.  Not that I know enough to say there'd be a problem seating .324" deep, but it wasn't worth it to me to mess with.

Edited by paltrypoultry

2 minutes ago, paltrypoultry said:

Looks like you're talking about the MWs though; I'm talking about RNs.  I'm guessing the 147gn MWs aren't seating .324" deep at 1.100" like the RNs are.  Not that I know enough to say there'd be a problem seating .324" deep, but it wasn't worth it to me to mess with.

yeah the truncated cone tip's is the ones I use  round nose would be much longer, I should have been clearer

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, Scarecrow35 said:

147gr from Rmr I use 4.5 gr of tire group coal 1.131

What is the PF for that Load?  That is a lot of TiteGroup.  Typically people are loading 147 gr lower than 3.5 gr with TiteGroup.

Hogdons max load for TiteGroup is 3.6 gr for 147 gr bullets.

Are you sure that is not 3.5 gr?

3.2 of Titegroup is my go to load for jacketed & plated 147's. 3.0 for coated. As far a length...I load 9mm at 1.10 so they chamber in all of my guns. I have a couple of CZ's that are short chambered. I used to have a Stock 2 that required 1.085oal.