Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cal in CO?

texasdawg

How come you don't see any .40 cal guns in CO? It's one mag change 9 or 40 to get to 32 rounds? Is it just the recoil? One could get a pretty soft shooting .40 I believe using the 125pf for CO. I have a .40 frame and slide that I can mill for CO and was wondering why not?

Same reasons as always. Scored minor so just shoot 9mm. Yes there have always been soft 40 minor loads that could be used in Production as well but you just rarely see them. 
 9mm Ammo was always cheaper for one thing. Whether you reload or not.

Like all things, personal opinion.  I remember seeing many in production when I was shooting it years ago, mostly because that's what people had.  It just may have fallen out of fashion.  Like light guns were the thing years ago, now heavy guns are in fashion.

If its what you have and you like it, run with it.

Yep, generally you're not going to see it because of price and because you're going to occasionally get burned on a very fast High hit Factor stage when you really need that 23rd or 24th round. If you have a 40 laying around and you want to try carry Ops, I would suggest buying a plate to replace the rear sight and give it a go. I wouldn't spend the money of having a slide milled on a 40 caliber carry ops gun. Good luck

Thanks for the reply's. I have the parts and I have a mill, so making the gun is not the problem. I have a bunch of .40 reloading components and figured it would be a way to save my 9mm primers for more important matches,,,

28 minutes ago, texasdawg said:

Thanks for the reply's. I have the parts and I have a mill, so making the gun is not the problem. I have a bunch of .40 reloading components and figured it would be a way to save my 9mm primers for more important matches,,,

Dont they use the same primers?

• 4 weeks later...

I ran 40 minor briefly when experimenting with CO. 

Around here the magazine capacity difference wasn't really an advantage except on a few 20ish round stages.

Shoots really soft and I have way more 40 components than 9mm components. If it's cost effective for you, I say go for it. You can always go to 9mm later.

• 2 weeks later...

I built a glock 40 CO gun for my wife.  I had a bunch of preban 40 mags from my Limited gun and I live in the grandfathered magazine capacity limited state.  9mm pre-bans are going for 2-3x the cost of 40's.  If I lived in a free state I would have used 9mm.