Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RL1100 bench size

Which position you pick on handle length will be a variable too.  Be sure to test it with the handle on to see which one works.

I have mine mounted at 39" and it works on the shortest handle setting.  Originally had it at 41.5" with  4" inlinefab mount and it was too tall where I had a hard time seeing inside the case.  RL1100 has a taller frame compared to RL1050, Super 1050 so be sure to mount it where you can see inside the case after powder fill.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'll definitely start by mounting it directly to the counter, and then see which handle position works best.  Since it will only load 9mm I don't think I need to worry about needing more torque to work the handle in the short position.

It's odd that Dillon chose not to make the front of the press straight across so it would be easy to align with the front of the bench top.  Now I have to eyeball it to try and get it straight.

Maybe in a couple of years if primer prices become reasonable again I may even consider automating it with the Mark 7 autodrive.  I think those just sit on the bench and don't get bolted down at all.  But that's a long way off.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Maybe in a couple of years if primer prices become reasonable again I may even consider automating it with the Mark 7 autodrive.  I think those just sit on the bench and don't get bolted down at all.  But that's a long way off.

In theory you don't have to bolt down an automated press.

However you will almost for sure need to run it using the manual arm on occasion when you are clearing up problems and for other reasons as well.

If whatever the base the automation is mounted on is not bolted down you'll have problems.

At least that is true for the Ammobot. Perhaps the Mk7 is different but I'd be surprised.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'll definitely start by mounting it directly to the counter, and then see which handle position works best.  Since it will only load 9mm I don't think I need to worry about needing more torque to work the handle in the short position.

It's odd that Dillon chose not to make the front of the press straight across so it would be easy to align with the front of the bench top.  Now I have to eyeball it to try and get it straight.

There was a template inside the box that came with my 1100. I used that to mark the spots to drill for the mounting bolts.

Well, I played with the press base and handle a bit today.  I tried it on the bench top, and then on some stacked wood to raise it 3.5" and it was definitely more comfortable for me with it raised.  I tried all 3 handle positions from the bench, then on a 2x4, then two 2x4's, then two 2x4's and a 1x2 which brought it up to 3.5".  That's what seemed to work best.  I am going to order the Inline Fabrication mount.  I also plan to put about a 3/4-1" anti fatigue mat on the floor, so I think the 4" Inlin Fab mount will work out well for me.

Nothing like a little trial and error to see what works best.

• 9 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, Cuz said:

Well, I played with the press base and handle a bit today.  I tried it on the bench top, and then on some stacked wood to raise it 3.5" and it was definitely more comfortable for me with it raised.  I tried all 3 handle positions from the bench, then on a 2x4, then two 2x4's, then two 2x4's and a 1x2 which brought it up to 3.5".  That's what seemed to work best.  I am going to order the Inline Fabrication mount.  I also plan to put about a 3/4-1" anti fatigue mat on the floor, so I think the 4" Inlin Fab mount will work out well for me.

Nothing like a little trial and error to see what works best.

Doesn’t 1.75” + 1.75” + .75” = 4.25”?

6 hours ago, B1nks said:

Doesn’t 1.75” + 1.75” + .75” = 4.25”?

Yeah, well, I was never very good working with wood anyway...  :)

The 4" Inline Fab mount is installed and working great, so all is well.

13 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

Get yourself a packing table from Uline. Center it in the room, walkaround enough for 4 machines.

I like this idea.  I am getting ready to move my reloading room to another room, and this layout may work best.  

15 hours ago, Johnnymazz said:

Heres a far away pic

80328767_612998679515554_5082776529876811776_n.jpg

Damn, now that’s just showing off. 
Very jealous of that configuration. If I were to redo my loading space that would certainly work better than what I have now, and it would offer the ability to add presses in the future. 

Very nice setup. 

10 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I like this idea.  I am getting ready to move my reloading room to another room, and this layout may work best.  

Thanks bro. Im in the process of moving to my new house finally. Once I get set up Ill take some pics. Im going to have a 2,000 SF area in my basement setup like a factory. I bought another Dillon RL1100 , Rollsizer decapper and Rollsizer machine to compliment my operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice setup Johnny,

once again, jealous as usual. Best I can hope for will be one center table that I can mount 2 or 3 presses on with walk around room. Although in the past couple of years I’ve only shot 9mm and rimfire, so more presses aren’t really needed. 

• 2 weeks later...