Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon RL1100 bench size

I am thinking about a Dillon RL1100. 

I have looked all over and can not find how deep of a bench is needed. 

I have found how tall they are but not how far out from the wall they need to be mounted. 

Any help with this would be great. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Jeff

I have a 24” deep table and with my RL1100 mounted on the edge, I still have about 17-18” of space from the back of the bullet tray to the edge of the table.

48-BDD9-B1-446-E-45-BE-9-E6-C-0-D6816-CF

Edited by George16

28 minutes ago, ddc said:

Apparently 24" is the magic number....lol...My bench is 24" also.

It just so happens my is 24" from ripping down a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half for a double layered top. Increments of 2 feet just work for some reason.

I do have a 3 foot deep bench in my woodshop for working on large projects but things tend to just collect at the back so my effective size is only 2 feet deep.

Deeper is not always better but I'd make it as long as you can.

27 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

It just so happens my is 24" from ripping down a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half for a double layered top. Increments of 2 feet just work for some reason.

I do have a 3 foot deep bench in my woodshop for working on large projects but things tend to just collect at the back so my effective size is only 2 feet deep.

Exactly.

My first bench was 32" deep but couldn't reach the pegboard easily from a seated position and as you say it allowed crap to accumulate.

24" doesn't feel cramped.

You could get by with a little less but I don't think I'd go less than 20".

My machine is disassembled at the moment or I'd try to get a more accurate minimum requirement.

2 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Same reason here for my 24” deep bench. It works perfectly for my needs.

On 4/30/2021 at 7:28 PM, Jsjac said:

I ended up buying a new RL1100 at a local gun shop so I will see how it fits on the bench. 

I will report back when I'm done with the reloading room remodel. 

Yes, please do report back.  I am trying to decide where to mount my RL1100 as well.  I have a 24" countertop with 8" deep shelves on the back wall about 20" higher than the bench.  I'm wondering if it will fit.  I'm also curious if I'll need a mount or if I should just mount the press to the countertop.  The bench/countertop is 37" from the floor.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are able to direct mount it to your bench no further than an inch or so you’ll be fine. Anything much further and the downstroke will hit the edge of your bench. My 4” inline fab mount will be here Monday. 

1 hour ago, JBaum said:

If you are able to direct mount it to your bench no further than an inch or so you’ll be fine. Anything much further and the downstroke will hit the edge of your bench. My 4” inline fab mount will be here Monday. 

I would be curious to see a pic with the 1100 mounted to the 4" mount.  I haven't had time to setup my press yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got around to unboxing my RL1100 and I’m trying to decide where along my bench to mount it. It looks like just the handle is on the right side and everything else is on the left. I do plan to mount a Mr. Bullet feeder to the case feeder. 

so, for those of you manually running an RL1100, which side do you need more room on?  I have about a 32” wide area of bench and I don’t know if I should center it or favor it over more to the left or right?

Thanks,

Cuz

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

So I finally got around to unboxing my RL1100 and I’m trying to decide where along my bench to mount it. It looks like just the handle is on the right side and everything else is on the left. I do plan to mount a Mr. Bullet feeder to the case feeder. 

so, for those of you manually running an RL1100, which side do you need more room on?  I have about a 32” wide area of bench and I don’t know if I should center it or favor it over more to the left or right?

Thanks,

Cuz

These things tend to multiply by themselves if left alone in a dark room.  I'd say move it to one side of the bench or the other.  That's what I did.  Soon I had two.

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

Thanks,

Cuz

I mounted mine on the right side of the bench. I did it this way so I can install the MBF on separate mount (1” dia. black pipe towards the back). 

310-D3-EF9-A564-4998-840-E-FAF6944826-A2

7 hours ago, George16 said:

I mounted mine on the right side of the bench. I did it this way so I can install the MBF on separate mount (1” dia. black pipe towards the back). 

310-D3-EF9-A564-4998-840-E-FAF6944826-A2

Thanks for the pic. Is that post to the left of your press in back for the bullet feeder?  I was hoping to mount mine at the left edge of my countertop centering the main part of the press about 13” from the edge. I also have a filing cabinet against the end of the counter. I think it should fit, I may have to assemble a few parts of the press before I bolt it down to test fit the location. 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Thanks for the pic. Is that post to the left of your press in back for the bullet feeder?  I was hoping to mount mine at the left edge of my countertop centering the main part of the press about 13” from the edge. I also have a filing cabinet against the end of the counter. I think it should fit, I may have to assemble a few parts of the press before I bolt it down to test fit the location. 

image.jpeg

Yes, it’s the MBF mounting post.

You can put the mounting post for the billet feeder where the brown box is at. This way, it’s in the corner away from everything  so you can maximize your bench space.

53 minutes ago, ddc said:

How high is your bench? Were you planning on a direct mount or raising it a bit? 

Damn, that’s a good question. I was so wrapped up on where I was going to mount it that I never thought to consider if the height was high enough. And I even had the handle in to verify it would clear the front of the counter. I’ll have to measure the height when I get home tonight and also put the handle back in to see if the height will work or if I want to bump it up with the 4” riser plate.  Damn, what an idiot I am. Sometimes I get too focused on a tree and don’t see the forest. 

59 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Damn, that’s a good question. I was so wrapped up on where I was going to mount it that I never thought to consider if the height was high enough. And I even had the handle in to verify it would clear the front of the counter. I’ll have to measure the height when I get home tonight and also put the handle back in to see if the height will work or if I want to bump it up with the 4” riser plate.  Damn, what an idiot I am. Sometimes I get too focused on a tree and don’t see the forest. 

If I were you, I’d mount it directly to the bench. Take a look at the picture I posted showing the 550 and 1100 on my bench. The 550 is mounted on an Inline Fab 4” riser while the 1100 is mounted directly to the bench. My bench is 30” from the floor to the top.

This setup is perfect for the regular-sized bar stool I’m using.

The height from floor to the top of the counter is 37".  I was thinking of mounting it directly to the bench.  I also have a workbench that is 36.5" from floor to countertop and that has an RL550B on the Dillon Strong mount.  That height is just right for stand-up use.

I think the setup will be too high on with the riser considering your bench is already at 37”. Mock it up and see how it works before finalizing your setup.

By the way, do you plan on sitting down or standing while reloading? This is significant in how you mount your machine.

Edited by George16
Spelling

2 hours ago, George16 said:

I think the setup will be too high on with the riser considering your bench is already at 37”. Mock it up and see how it works before finalizing your setup.

By the way, do you plan on sitting down or standing while reloading? This is significant in how you mount your machine.

I’m definitely a stand-up reloader. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I’m definitely a stand-up reloader. 

I'm stand up also.

At 37" I think you are right in the sweet spot without a riser. 

I'm 5'10" and mine is mounted at 38" but 37" would work a little better I think.

I wouldn't want mine any higher than it already is.