Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer not picking up the shots on many PCC's

I had this problem the last match I shot with my stock pinned/welded gen2 Mpx barrel. I just started telling the RO the position I was going to be ending the stage in (if there was more than one choice in the lay out) so he could get in close with the timer without risking a collision.

The competitor-side fix is a comp on the PCC to make it louder for the timer. 

39 minutes ago, NETim said:

One enterprising RO at our club attached timers to the end of a yardstick.   Works like a charm. 

Seems it would be difficult to be 100% sure the timer picked up the last shot. Need to be able to see the timer capture the last shot.

AMG timers cure that problem.  If I'm ROing a PCC shooter at a USPSA match I'm using my AMG timer no matter what.  Then I don't have to crawl up the shooter's butt to make sure I catch the last shot.  They really are that good.

7 hours ago, outerlimits said:

shoot a pistol-problem solved.

Yes, Butch we get it, you don't like PCC, but at a PCC match, shooting a pistol doesn't solve the problem.

7 hours ago, NETim said:

One enterprising RO at our club attached timers to the end of a yardstick.   Works like a charm. 

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

Seems it would be difficult to be 100% sure the timer picked up the last shot. Need to be able to see the timer capture the last shot.

Just attach the timers so the readout faces back along the stick.  They do this at the Rimfire Precision Rifle and PRS matches because some of the suppressed rifles are surprisingly quiet.

Nolan

2 hours ago, mreed911 said:

That's on the RO to be behind the shooter finishing the stage - only the last shot matters, timer-wise.

That depends on what the last shot is.  Leaning around a barrier and shooting left is definitely going to move the muzzle away from the RO and put the shooter's body between the timer and the muzzle.  So you cannot just make blanket statements like that.

1 minute ago, zzt said:

That depends on what the last shot is.  Leaning around a barrier and shooting left is definitely going to move the muzzle away from the RO and put the shooter's body between the timer and the muzzle.  So you cannot just make blanket statements like that.

I can.  It's up to the RO to be able to be in a position to record the last shot.  Barring that, it's up to the RO to report malfunctioning equipment to the RM (wrong sensitivity on a timer), or to request a change to the stage to allow proper timekeeping/scoring.

So yes, I can make a blanket statement like that.

It’s an RO problem. Not an equipment problem. 

The even worse problem... is RO’s that aren’t looking at the timer to even know with certainty if they picked up the last shot or not. It’s a big problem. 

If the stage designer puts a target or short wall a meter or two downrange from the last shooting position, the reflected sound is usually picked up even from rimfire rifles.  I've seen the yardstick option used with two timers just to make sure it picks up the last shot and it seems to work.

Edited by pyrrhic3gun
more
1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

It’s an RO problem. Not an equipment problem. 

The even worse problem... is RO’s that aren’t looking at the timer to even know with certainty if they picked up the last shot or not. It’s a big problem. 

Bingo. It's the RO that's running shooters while the regular RO is on deck. Experience is lacking.

44 minutes ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

If the stage designer puts a target or short wall a meter or two downrange from the last shooting position, the reflected sound is usually picked up even from rimfire rifles.  I've seen the yardstick option used with two timers just to make sure it picks up the last shot and it seems to work.

You don't know where the last shooter position will be. Changes if the shooter is right or left handed.

8 minutes ago, 71Commander said:

I've been a CRO for 15 years. Anyone that says it's not a issue is kidding themselves.

Those 15 years of experience running PCC shooters? Nope. 

You’ve got 4 years of USPSA PCC match experience. Just like the rest of us. 

Edited by Dirty_J