Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer pocket dislodged on 650 during priming

Dazhi

I have loaded 150k rounds on my 650 so far, but this is something new to me.  

Started happening with the latest batch of Blazer headstamp brass . 

Went through 1k yesterday, 5 of them had the primer pocket with the newly primed primer dislodged as a whole, and pushed inside the case during the priming. 

Nothing on my press has changed, no extra force used on priming than I usually do, and there has been 0 issue with other few k of other headstamps.  My gut feeling is something is different with these Blazer brass, but I hope someone has a theory or knowledge to shine some light. 

The first 4 occurrences showed nothing major except a "stepping" sensation during priming.  However, the last one had the primer detonated, I assumed it's when the whole pocket got pushed through, there was a secondary stepping stop that caused it, e.g. not completely through.  Luckily I was loading CCI, and there was no chain detonation. 

I still have 2k of these sorted Blazer brass.  I'd hate to throw them all away.  Maybe I should try using the hand priming tool, but it may be even more dangerous if it's detonated there. 

pened1.jpg

pened2.jpg

Edited by Dazhi

That looks exactly like the old balloon head cases i used in my youth. Damn if i would use them! A good way to get a face full of nasty gas! I can't believe they are cutting expenses, charging 2 prices and taking out the most important part of the case.

Edited by bowenbuilt

This should be pretty obvious but I missed it.  My guess is when this spring breaks into pieces, the primer punch just goes way deeper than usual.  I think Blazer brass is probably the softest thus disintegrates more easily than other headstamps.

IMG_20210427_164107-01.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Eric802 said:

I haven't noticed any real differences with Blazer when priming or loading cases; might just be coincidence that you were loading up a run of Blazer brass when the spring broke?

Yes very likely to be the case.  I do feel Blazer brass is relatively softer than other headstamps, something like Blazer->FC->Speer->RP->WIN.  Just my own feeling though, nothing scientific.  I like Blazer brass for that reason too.  

Blazer is almost as thin as the federal making them softer than the afore-mentioned head stamps on @dazhi’s post. CBC and S & B are the thickest while Fiocchi have the tightest primer pocket on non-crimped brands like WMA and WCC.

Do those have the larger flash holes like the 45 Blazer brass? (For green primers)  When they enlarged the flash holes it doesn’t leave much material in the pockets so it could be easier to punch through. Just a thought. 

Very interesting.

I go through a lot of Blazer brass and some of it has been reloaded in excess of ten times. I've never encountered that sort of behavior.

I have had a primer detonation with Blazer brass on a 650.

I have had a case rupture at the base with Blazer brass but it had likely been reloaded numerous times.