Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gear Review: Devil Dog Concepts Side Charger System on my Bul Armory BL9 PCC

Video of a recent upgrade to my Bul Armory BL9 PCC: the "drop in" - no gunsmithing needed - Devil Dog Concepts (DDC) Side Charging System. The side charger is a huge time saver in PCC competition! Let me know in the Comments below if and which side charger system you use and why!

I have, well, let's say I have a few of them installed and I love 'em.  I'm a lefty and it just feels good to be able to clear the gun still on my shoulder while holding the forend-very solid and easy to keep the dot on the target. Another benny is not having to worry about bustin' myself in the nose 😉 weighs less than five ounces which equates to 10 of my 147 grn rounds.  My rifle as configured weighs exactly 6 pounds 11 ounces which feels light to me but I'm guessing the real gunners would consider that too heavy.

22 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

I have, well, let's say I have a few of them installed and I love 'em.  I'm a lefty and it just feels good to be able to clear the gun still on my shoulder while holding the forend-very solid and easy to keep the dot on the target. Another benny is not having to worry about bustin' myself in the nose 😉 weighs less than five ounces which equates to 10 of my 147 grn rounds.  My rifle as configured weighs exactly 6 pounds 11 ounces which feels light to me but I'm guessing the real gunners would consider that too heavy.

Thanks for sharing

5 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Mine just came in. Disappointed it didn’t fit my Tacoma upper, but at least it does fit my JP upper.  I’ll report when I get to try it at the range.

Indeed, the DDC does not fit all uppers. Looking forward to your feedback.

I had the same issue with a forged upper receiver but it was a simple fix.  The part of the unit that makes contact with the receiver just in front of the "regular" charging handle needs to be ground down a bit as the unit is designed for "milspec" uppers.  I took my trusty Dremel to it and it took about five minutes of grind and fit to get it to work properly.  I contacted the manufacturer and he said my fix was exactly what was required and stated that the unit was designed to fit milspec uppers and that forged uppers were just a bit thicker and would cause a bind if the  "nub" wasn't taken down a bit.

Did it on two forged uppers and they work like a champ.

Edited by copterdrvr
spelling

Got two side charging AR9 rifles, a Glock magazine gun with a New Frontier Armory side charging upper on a New Frontier Armory clone lower (ATI). Works great, whole gun weighs about 6.5 lbs.

You can get a Gibbz Arms side charging upper which is similar to the NFA for $220.00, for an additional $75.00 you get an upper that doesn't look cobbled together, and doesn't have the charging handle coming out the back into your face. Not ambidextrous, so if you're left handed, probably not for you.

Second is a Matrix Arms side charging upper (old version) on a Spikes Tactical Colt magazine lower. Again works great. Weighs 6.4 lbs. 

Neither requires any proprietary parts, using common bolts and lower parts. 

AR9 C.jpg

AR9 G.jpg

On 5/9/2021 at 7:58 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

Horner does send all over Europe..

Asked them -> They refused to ship 

23 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Horner just received new DDC inventory. Otherwise, I suggest you contact Cesar Shop and/or IPSC Store to ask if they know DDC and if they're interested to take it into their inventory.

Will ask