Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Open Pistol- Thumb Rest or not

Jules1985

good morning

I'm about to get my first open pistol when the paperwork is done.

( quite complicated here in Europe)

my choice fell on a vista short in caliber 9 mm major.

now i have to decide whether and how i should use a thumb rest. I would be grateful for tips. I would also like to apologize for my english, it was more than ten years ago that i learned it in school.

have a nice day and stay safe !

Jules 

for start try this.

Shooting Sports Innovations Nitro Fin 2.0 1911/2011 STI/SV Slide Lock Thumb  Rest

2 hours ago, Jules1985 said:

Try to do this in my country. If you succeed in this, nothing will be difficult for you anymore.😀

Very new to Open; I've tested it with and without. Subjectively it FEELS better, but there's no measurable difference in performance either way. 

The nitro-fin does force me to change where I put my trigger finger when shooting weakhand. 

6 hours ago, Jules1985 said:

good morning

my choice fell on a vista short in caliber 9 mm major.

now i have to decide whether and how i should use a thumb rest. I would be grateful for tips. I would also like to apologize for my english, it was more than ten years ago that i learned it in school.

have a nice day and stay safe !

Jules 

A thumbrest helps you to better manage recoil and get the red dot back to zero. I strongly recommend the right thumb rest, not just any. Depends on the gun, your hands, size of fingers/thumbs etc.  

7 hours ago, Jules1985 said:

I would also like to apologize for my english, it was more than ten years ago that i learned it in school.

No apologies needed, Jules.

Your English is a damn sight better than my German!

Welcome!

I use a thumb rest on all my Open pistols.  I find it helps to locate my hand in a 100% consistent manner.  Since you support wrist is cocked at the same angle all the time, dot return is consistent.  I do not use the rest for recoil management.  I tried to at first and it doesn't work out.  The dot doesn't track straight up and down, and the muzzle dips on return.  It is really hard to get the correct amount of pressure on the rest if you are trying to mitigate recoil.  

I put on a *thumb rest [generic]*, and I did not immediately move up a class, I didn't become instantly faster.   That said it does give a consistent place to put my thumb and makes my grip more consistent.   I say try it, you can always take it off.   Just like Broccoli you won't know if you like it till you try it. 

On 4/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, pealandco said:

I like the frame mounted thumb rest on my BUL SAS2 UR. I find it creates more of a consistent draw and forces my palm higher on the grip, which is good for recoil management.

Bul has two different versions of thumb rests on URs--v1 and v3 (v2 is discontinued). Version 3 is set at a steeper angle and fits my personal grip better. Version 1 has me reaching out too far on the gun to be comfortable. That's why I'll second StefVanHauwe's recommendation for "the right thumb rest, not just any."

The mount looks like it is mounted on an angle. Are you able to sight it OK for near and far targets? Say, sighted at 10m and still hitting fine at 40m? Most mounts are fitted with the holes drilled parallel to the frame edge - just wondering if the angle affects accuracy, or not.

I agree with the others that a thumbrest is good for creating a consistent place to position your thumb but it is not the solution for controlling recoil.

They way your hands meet and press together at the rear of the grip is much more effective for creating a consistent lock point that resists the gun pivoting or moving sideways in your grip. A thumb rest that is too far forward creates problems with consistent grip lock. 

Edited by DownUnder

Hello, I shot a friends open pistol today with a *thumb rest [generic]* rest. I was sighting it in and doing some double taps. I noticed I had less accuracy using the rest. I put my thumb below the rest and accuracy was better and my double taps were quicker. I think it has to do with my wrists being locked in a better position with my thumb being more parallel to the bore of the pistol. I do have large hands so maybe that comes into play as well? I did try these years ago and found that I did better with out it. Thanks, Eric

i have tested both the nitro fin and the range panda thumb rest, both of which did not work for me personally

I have relatively big hands and have now figured that out my grip was most consistent when I press my left thumb against the cheely mounts Frame from my red dots.
I would still like to thank you very much for the tips

Edited by Jules1985