Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rounds not case gauging

Blackstone45

On 4/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, redfisher said:

This happens to me with 38SC even after I roll size them in a Case Pro, it's the rim, I wish I could get a push through die like I have for 40 S&W.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/253125-38-sc-bulge-buster-die/

The main problem is the rim size, it's larger than 9MM luger and Makarov .406 vs .394. Find a Lee FCD with that dimension. or give the Makarov a try.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, B_RAD said:

Something I’ve not seen anyone discuss is the rim itself being marred or burred. I’m guessing it’s from the extractor claw but it’s burred so that part of the rim won’t go into the case gauge. 

Was just about to say that. Every single one I've had sit proud like that were either cracked cases or buggered up case rim. Only ones that havent plunk tested were cracked cases. 

I do have a box of around 100 rounds that the undersized die didnt fully size because it decided backing off a 1/4" was a good idea. Still trying to figure out how to fix this without taking them apart. I suspect I'll be pulling bullets, saving the powder, and pulling the deprimer pin. Then just run them through the sizing die and reloading.

I switched to a Lee U-die AND made sure it was adjusted down as far as possible.  Using a Hundo 100 round gauge my failure rate is now <1%.

Also look to see if there are any signs of not enough flair, if there is a slight scraping of the coating this can cause the round to not pass case gauging.  Some range brass is a little short and therefore does not get enough flair.  When I drop rounds into the case gauge I look for rounds that sit deeper than the rest, when that happens I make it for practice only and not for reloading.

Also make sure the bullets are (mostly) upright because if leaning to one side the case MAY catch a little coating as it goes into the seating die.

This worked for my YMMV.

Good luck.

Edited by Tunachaser

Check the OAL of the round as well. It could be the bullet itself isn’t seated deep enough and the shoulder is catching the ledge on the inside of the case gauge.  I had this issue when switching from RN Blue bullets to TC BBI bullets. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, about 30% of my rounds aren't spinning freely after plunking in my CZ and SIG P210 barrels. Using the sharpie method, it looks like they're catching at the base of the bullet. What's the cause of this? There is quite a visible bulge which I believe is normal. But perhaps this is too much?

20210613_164858.thumb.jpg.d638813726c8bf1378a363242f470c3d.jpg

1) The bullets are being seated slightly crooked, a MBF powder funnel might help. I assume you're using the RN side of the seating plug?

2) The coated bullets are oversized and the bulge where the base of the bullet stops can be ironed out with a Lee FCD. Note: This will swage the bullet and you might start tumbling again.

3) My recommendation: Use a different bullet or change the size/weight/profile, that's probably the easiest solution.

Edited by 4n2t0

2 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

1) The bullets are being seated slightly crooked, a MBF powder funnel might help. I assume you're using the RN side of the seating plug?

2) The coated bullets are oversized and the bulge where the base of the bullet stops can be ironed out with a Lee FCD. Note: This will swage the bullet and you might start tumbling again.

3) My recommendation: Use a different bullet or change the size/weight/profile, that's probably the easiest solution.

Yes I'm using the RN side of the Dillon seating die.

I'll look into the MBF powder funnel, I assume that it just replaces the Dillon powder funnel thing and flares the case mouth in a way that allows bullets to seat straighter?

40 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

Yes I'm using the RN side of the Dillon seating die.

I'll look into the MBF powder funnel, I assume that it just replaces the Dillon powder funnel thing and flares the case mouth in a way that allows bullets to seat straighter?

Yes, the MBF funnel replaces the Dillon powder funnel. It works well in my 1100 setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I've narrowed down the culprit to CBC headstamped brass. S&B gauges, plunks and spins freely without fail. It does make sense, CBC brass seems to be thicker or "harder". I've found there to be a lot more resistance when resizing CBC brass vs S&B brass.

11 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

I've narrowed down the culprit to CBC headstamped brass. S&B gauges, plunks and spins freely without fail. It does make sense, CBC brass seems to be thicker or "harder". I've found there to be a lot more resistance when resizing CBC brass vs S&B brass.

I agree CBC brass is probably the "stiffest" brass that I load. It is certainly not my favorite. I just let it accumulate and only use it when I'm out of more user friendly options.