Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Volquarsten pistol choices

So I did a little research on the Mamba vs. the Scorpion (so basically a MKIII vs. a MKIV.)

The only real difference that people talk about is the disassembly process.  Other than that are there any other major differences in reliability, etc.?  I hate the fact that the Mamba has that bottom rail, I am shooting Steel Challenge, so there is no advantage for me and only adds weight.  I would prefer to purchase a Volquartsen pistol outright, as it it much less expensive than buying a stock MKIII or MKIV and upgrading it.

Grip angle on the Mamba is more like a 1911.  It is very light and tracks well. Mine has over 85K rounds through it and it's still going strong.  The Scorpion is much heavier.  I don't find much of a difference in disassembly.  I can take my Mark III apart and put it back in less than 10 minutes, but when it's time to clean I do enjoy the one button take down.

The bottom rail is cut out of the aluminum and actually takes weight off the upper.

Black Mamba Stoner Grips 11 2020.jpg

The mamba-x  has no upper or lower rail; 

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/4661

I have one on order but VQ told me 10 months as hard to find the 22/45 frames they said.   I am going to buy a scorpion local from a friend. 

No threaded barrel or comp - special ordered to avoid pin/weld here in CT. 

image.thumb.png.3e3dcad091f71bd7a390c1bb4938ca79.png

Edited by jrdoran

33 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

The mamba-x  has no upper or lower rail; 

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/4661

I have one on order but VQ told me 10 months as hard to find the 22/45 frames they said.   I am going to buy a scorpion local from a friend. 

No threaded barrel or comp - special ordered to avoid pin/weld here in CT. 

image.thumb.png.3e3dcad091f71bd7a390c1bb4938ca79.png

I actually just found out that a buddy of mine has that one with the  the universal red dot upper. Only problem is it is basically impossible to find a complete pistol with that upper, so I would still need to go the upgrade route if I found the upper, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Just as a side-note, Volquartsen makes both the Mamba and the Scorpion in both the "target" style and the 1911 style grip frames. I have the Scorpion with the target frame, which I find is easy to disassemble, but if you are dead set on a MKIV frame, then you could always buy a Ruger MKIV and toss the upper in your parts bin and buy the Volquartsen LLV-4 upper and then swap in Volquartsen accurizing internals and it becomes a Mamba. As another note, Volquartsen makes the actual frame for the Scorpion while for the Mamba they use Ruger frames. From what they told me, they don't expect to be able to build their own MKIV frames for the near future. Here's pic of my Scorpion.

smaller size 1.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 9:01 PM, jrdoran said:

Could someone quantify the weight difference between mamba vs scorpion ?  I did not realize it was significant.

Weight difference is 4oz

For the 4.5" barrel:

Scorpion is 2lb

Mamba is 1lb 12oz

I've held each (but only have shot Scorpion) and it isn't significant to me (and I'm a woman). But who knows, maybe it will be to some.

1 hour ago, jt1207 said:

Weight difference is 4oz

For the 4.5" barrel:

Scorpion is 2lb

Mamba is 1lb 12oz

I've held each (but only have shot Scorpion) and it isn't significant to me (and I'm a woman). But who knows, maybe it will be to some.

Thank you.  👍

Posting this here as perhaps I have the attention of fellow scorpion owners.  

My question is, should I be able to feel any movement of the upper if I grab the barrel and twist? I can move it a millimeter or so either way. Can't move it up and down or feel any slop pushing it side to side, just twisting

Apparently VQ uses spacers under the lug on the lower to assist the barrel and lower fit. If you look at the log on the lower, you will see a small screw holding the lug in place. Remove the screw and you will (should) see the thin spacer(s) in place.

To tighten fit I believe you'll want to remove any spacers from underneath the locking lug in the VQ frame.  My very lightly used had only a single spacer;  I could not get the frame to slide into the upper w/o the shim.  I tried light rubber malet, but didn't want to go too hard. 

Can others check for movement and have any of you dealt with the shim ? 

11 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Posting this here as perhaps I have the attention of fellow scorpion owners.  

My question is, should I be able to feel any movement of the upper if I grab the barrel and twist? I can move it a millimeter or so either way. Can't move it up and down or feel any slop pushing it side to side, just twisting

Apparently VQ uses spacers under the lug on the lower to assist the barrel and lower fit. If you look at the log on the lower, you will see a small screw holding the lug in place. Remove the screw and you will (should) see the thin spacer(s) in place.

To tighten fit I believe you'll want to remove any spacers from underneath the locking lug in the VQ frame.  My very lightly used had only a single spacer;  I could not get the frame to slide into the upper w/o the shim.  I tried light rubber malet, but didn't want to go too hard. 

Can others check for movement and have any of you dealt with the shim ? 

I just checked and there is not any movement at all in the one I have. I bought the frame separate from the upper and with the frame I received two shims with a note (see pic). You can see that the two shims are still in the bag--I put mine together and it was tight with no play at all so I figured that I didn't need them. 

Screenshot 2021-05-04 091729.jpg

@jt1207 Thank you.  Pic appreciated.     

Shooting buddies tell me to use a rubber mallet to assemble / disassemble frame & upper w/o the shim to achieve tight fit.  Just not comfy w/that yet. 

Ah yes, the rubber mallet does help a lot.  Another option is to point your unloaded gun to the top of your bench and push down on it.  That too will help get the barrel separated. You might need to coach it a bit.  The rubber mallet will do no harm to your gun and is what I use on my Mark III Hunter.

For those shooting the scorpion with a c-more slide ride + rail mount, I've noticed that optic ends up quite far forward.  This seems not ideal for  quick acquisition such as in SC.  

Anyone else notice that the c-more is quite far foward ? 

image.thumb.png.ce2874b8e38004cdb569bd93a749e0ee.png

Edited by jrdoran

13 hours ago, jrdoran said:

For those shooting the scorpion with a c-more slide ride + rail mount, I've noticed that optic ends up quite far forward.  This seems not idea of quick acquisition such as in SC.  

Anyone else notice that the c-more is quite far foward ? 

image.thumb.png.ce2874b8e38004cdb569bd93a749e0ee.png

That is good to know because I use a Slide Ride.  I was thinking about picking up an RTS instead.  I use a 12MOA slide ride, but you can get the RTS in a 10MOA.

27 minutes ago, jt1207 said:

@jrdoran I noticed the skateboard tape on the frame--seems like the positioning is for left-handed shooter. Or something else?

Exactly.  Yes;   Evil hand shooter 🙂    I use a small amount of tape on the left side to anchor my trigger finger outside of the guard, and I added some on the right which is visible.   

Strategically I think I will prefer the weight and takedown of a mamba / Mark IV, but I am going to use this scorpion for a few months.  I did shoot an SC match w/my sw22 victory yesterday and knocked .55 off my peak times so I'm second guessing my directions galore. 

I'm a c-more slide ride zealot and use 6 of them.   I'm not changing at this point.   My plan is to shorten the rail adapter mount allowing me to substantially move the dot rearward.  The length of the mount with (3) mounting locations is overkill.  I sort of did something similar on my PCC but for different reasons and a long and uninteresting story.    With the mount cut in half, I would expect the c-more glass to be approximately over the trigger.    

I'm open to other ideas.  No doubt I was hunting for the dot on the scorpion with it so far forward.  

image.thumb.png.67bad8b78baae4c646d6311bf1ed2672.png

Notice the front c-more mounting hole on the mamba-x is aligned with front of trigger vs how the c-more mounts on the scorpion.  This confirmed I wasn't crazy or more OCD than usual; 

image.thumb.png.2071fe9356d7df381169886f7c645c8f.png

6 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

Strategically I think I will prefer the weight and takedown of a mamba / Mark IV, but I am going to use this scorpion for a few months.  I did shoot an SC match w/my sw22 victory yesterday and knocked .55 off my peak times so I'm second guessing my directions galore. 

I'm a c-more slide ride zealot and use 6 of them.   I'm not changing at this point.   My plan is to shorten the rail adapter mount allowing me to substantially move the dot rearward.  The length of the mount with (3) mounting locations is overkill.  I sort of did something similar on my PCC but for different reasons and a long and uninteresting story.    With the mount cut in half, I would expect the c-more glass to be approximately over the trigger.    

I'm open to other ideas.  No doubt I was hunting for the dot on the scorpion with it so far forward.  

image.thumb.png.67bad8b78baae4c646d6311bf1ed2672.png

Did you just Dremel off that back 1/3 or so of the mount?  I am assuming that did not affect the ability to keep zero, those things are tanks.

Yes, cut it off with a hacksaw and filed smooth.  On my 9mm PCC it works great.   

New and improved c-more mounting on Scorpion.  Much better balance,  dot acquisition and even just plain 'looks'.    I'll touch up  the black paint on the on the rail mount a bit.  I also did not leave the c-more riser / spacer  in there.  

image.thumb.png.d6eed14edb1bdc33202855868f7bcce1.png

It does look better now. I played with the RDS mounting position on my Scorpion and found that I liked it better when it is closer to above my grip versus more forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the stock VQ trigger too far rearward.  I am changing to a tandemkross victory flat face  ( Have this in my sw22 victory ) .   

Here is an overlay of the profiles.    Yes the 2 holes at the top are lined up.  

image.thumb.png.5aba8ff9830fa00cc1a8d154de92306b.png

36 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

I find the stock VQ trigger too far rearward.  I am changing to a tandemkross victory flat face  ( Have this in my sw22 victory ) .   

Here is an overlay of the profiles.    Yes the 2 holes at the top are lined up.  

image.thumb.png.5aba8ff9830fa00cc1a8d154de92306b.png

I can see how it could feel better for some. The flatness of the trigger would work for me but with my shorter fingers, anytime the trigger is more extended then I start to like it less