Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P CORE slide release spring

ParaLarry

After about 25k rounds I had intermittent FTEs that no amount of magazine fiddling fixed. 
Did a complete teardown after a big match and found the slide release spring (right photo) had broken. Apparently captured in place it allowed the catch to bounce and stop the slide about once per stage. Smacked the magazine and it fed but cost enough time to finish second by 1% point. 
The left one in the photo is from my backup gun (20k+) and carefully bending restored function. 
I have two on order from MGW. 
Anyone seen this before?

What else can I be surprised at breaking?

(I do have a complete set of parts at home). 

3D766219-A2C2-4022-BBCD-5610159D1DFA.jpeg

20 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I'm pretty sure a call to S&W's customer service would have gotten you a replacement at no cost.  

Agree, and at 25K rounds plus probably a bunch more of dry fire mag changes, not surprised a spring goes tits up. Makes sense to change all the springs in the gun and magazines.

Mark

• 4 months later...

Looking at various pics and my assembles in my different MP 1.0s and the fact there were technically 3 different generationsof slide stop assemblies.  Each with slight changes. 

Here is my opinion:

That's the MP 1.0 gen 1 on the left. If you look next to the tab that locks into the slide notch there is a small notch cut out of the main bar.  Also notch how the control tab is a part of the main bar stamping and bent into place but with no welded supporting brace capping the bend.  It's missing that separate piece welded like the one on the right.  The gen 1 were known to have issues with the tab fracturing at the bend so they added that support cap.  Down below is an image from Brownells of a gen 1.  It's the wrong orientation but you can see the notch cut out like the one on the left above and the offset.  I think the one with the broken spring on the right is a gen 2.  Notice how the  stop tab and and tab that captures the spring end are inline with each other, not offset like a gen 1.  But look at the  tab that captures the slide..  look at its shape..  It's just regtangulare and the tab end squared off..  Now look below at the pic of the gen 3 again from Brownells.  Notice how it has a angle cut and then a triangular tip even more so than the gen 1.  The gen 3 also has the famous bump on the inside of the  right side control tab(thumb side for lefties) that ensures the trigger bar  has tension  pushing it to the left.  Giving the trigger a more tactile reset.  This area can be seen in the orientation of the pics above but I added a pic below.  That bump is the easiest most conclusive way to know a stop assembly is a gen 3.

While there is only recognized 3 gens of stops.  I think there were small variations that were running changes.  Take a look at the last image.  It has no notch like a gen 1 but it does not have the slide catch tab and tab that captures the spring end inline with the catch as in the pic above gen 2.  But it does have the support cap welded over the  left side control tab.  Most importantly it does not have the welded on bump behind the right side control tab that is the defining feature of what's considered a Gen 3.  So it's a running change between first gen 2 and gen 3..

Again all of this is  my opinion based on observations and the known issues and popular improvements/upgrades about the different gens.  Others with more knowledge I gladly defer.

To me the important improvements from the original to the final gen 3 were support cap welded to left control tab bent joint.  Bump added to improve trigger reset and that same bump added support to the right side control tab bent joint.  The removal of the notch by the slide lock tab likely increase rigidity to the main bar prevent deformation or stress cracking.

S&W MP 1.0 Slide Assembly Gen 1 (Brownells)

SW_MP_1.0_Slide_Stop_Assembly_Gen_1.jpg

S&W MP 1.0 Slide Stop Assembley Gen 3 (Brownells)

SW_MP_1.0_Slide_Stop_Assembly_Gen_3..jpg

SW MP 1.0 Slide Stop Assembly Gen 3 (trigger bar bump top left)

SW_1.0_Slide_Stop_Assembly_Gen_3_(trigge

SW 1.0 Slide Stop Assembly Gen 2 + (running change prior to trigger bar bump tab)  There is another angle of this stop that shows the control support but I had issues uploading.

SW_1.0_Slide_Stop_Assembly_Gen_2_(no_gen

Edited by tim_w

Thank you for this info!

S&W would not send me the part and requires the pistol be sent in since this is a "factory installed part"?!

So I ordered one from MGW. Part #396470000

Midway also lists part #396470000 and reviewers comment this an original type without the tactile reset bumps.

Other part numbers for the Slide Stop Assembly:

Old 2012 S&W parts list shows 390460000 (OBS)

and

393680000 no OBS in parentheses.

I believe OBS indicates OBSOLETE.

And I've found 424270000

And 440990000

on MGW's web site

And the customer service rep told me the part which would be installed is

So there surely have been several iterations of this part.

Yes sir with inline changes I would not be surprised if there were upwards of 5 unofficial versions.

But the one you want is the one that has that little tab on the inside of right side control tab.   It was the final version change that I am aware of to push the trigger bar over for a more positive reset. 

What made it really confusing for those that did not have part numbers is some sellers would list it as a gen 3 but it did not have the tab.  Even now some sites have the correct gen 3 yet their pic is of a gen 2.  When they first came out they were very rare to find on sale as SW was restricting sale to listed armorer only.  Now every part is available yet S&W keeps the same tune. 

I would be very interested to hear their rational on how a MP slide stop assembly is manf only install yet they will send you a new bare cylinder and extractor for a revolver (if you give them the serial number) that actually does take skill and knowledge to properly fit.  But a part that is as simple as knocking a few pins out pulling parts and reversing is too complex??   Just part of supporting the dumbing down of the populous I guess..