Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther PDP for Carry Optics

bobbyblaze

I recently bought a FS 4.5” that I plan to use in IDPA CO Division.  Currently waiting on my mounting plate.  I plan to put an RMR or SRO on it.  Currently shooting a milled Glock 17, so it will be interesting to see how the Walther compares.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:49 PM, bobbyblaze said:

Is there anyone out there shooting the PDP yet in CO? what is your set up?

Just got pistol... now I need to get springs, followers and base pads? who's making base pads and springs for the PDP?

• 4 weeks later...

Mine should arrive on Thursday.  I'm actually excited to give it a try.  As much as I liked the PPQ and Q5, I couldn't get over the short grip.

Are you guys planning to swap any springs, or do anything other than mags?

Walther did a very professional, Staccato style introduction of the PDP, including neat video and endorsements from a number of name trainers, that resulted in great initial reviews and a bunch of units sold. Now the product had to stand on its merits, and issues floating out there are the mounting system and plates, availability of 18 round OEM mags, the follower design on the 18 round mags, the slide out of battery dead trigger issue, and the deteriorating trigger. Hopefully all or most of these issues get ironed out soon, because it is a great shooting pistol, but right now I am

not sure it is mature enough. 

On 4/22/2021 at 7:42 AM, KeithC said:

I recently bought a FS 4.5” that I plan to use in IDPA CO Division.  Currently waiting on my mounting plate.  I plan to put an RMR or SRO on it.  Currently shooting a milled Glock 17, so it will be interesting to see how the Walther compares.

Do you have aftermarket uncaptured spring and guide rod for G17?  I want to see if you remove the plastic guide rod holder in the PDP and see if the G17 guide rod and spring fit. I think they will. Thank you

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 9:12 AM, Cdjohnson210 said:

Do you have aftermarket uncaptured spring and guide rod for G17?  I want to see if you remove the plastic guide rod holder in the PDP and see if the G17 guide rod and spring fit. I think they will. Thank you

I'm sure you tried this by now but I'm running a 4.5" and G17 uncaptured guide rod and spring with the plastic spacer.  About 250 rounds on it but so far it's working great.  15lb wolf spring.

• 1 month later...

I've recently been experimenting with a 4.5 FS PDP in carry optics. Here is the guide rod and spring setup I've had good luck with over approx 2500 rounds:

-Jentra  Tungsten guide rod for Gen 3 G17 from NZD performance 

-Wolf 13lb G17 recoil spring

-Springco 29 Newton striker spring

-Ace hardware copper washer (3/16 I believe) opened up with a rat tail file to allow guide rod to fit.  With little modification it works great and fits perfectly into the stock plastic spacer in the slide.  

20211201_062049.jpg

20211201_062154.jpg

9 minutes ago, pealandco said:

@AZ123456What were your observations switching from the 15# to 13# spring?

Honestly not as much of a difference as I expected.  Seemed to have slightly less muzzle rise and dip but I'm coming from a heavy Shadow 2 and still shooting 130 PF 125 grain ammo. I'm trying 147's now and that combo seems to be the ticket but only 100 rounds or so into them so time will tell.   Without the 29 Newton striker spring the 13lb recoil sorting doesn't hold the slide in battery very well.  The weight from the guide rod seemed to make the most difference in shooting feel but once again I'm coming from a very nose heavy platform so that might play into it for me.  

I'm coming from a CZ SP01 and I can definitely feel the nose weight difference. Between my Q5 SF and the CZ. I prefer the 147gr projectiles also I can track the dot alot better than with 124gr. I'm probably gonna swap out my recoil spring soon right now I'm running the factory -1 coil and it hasn't made a huge difference I think the heavier weight of a steel guide rod might help though. I have the brass lok grips on the way but won't get to try them out until after Christmas and I absolutely can't wait.