Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer moons?

regor

9 minutes ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Here’s a review here: https://revolverguy.com/rimz-ez-moon-clips/

but keep in mind they probably didn’t abuse them like a competition shooter would.

I found that one and had the same thought. Figured there would be folks around here who have abused them sufficiently to know if they are acceptable for competition use. 

As stated above by Krusty.

I guy I shoot with uses them in competition ICORE and IDPA and really likes them.

All he shoots is revo's so I feel confident saying he wouldn't use them if they didn't work well.

FWIW he uses metal clips in his 929

As far as competition goes - they won't break or take a permanent crimp if they get stepped on. I have a GP100 10mm and hunted for usable moonclips since Ruger's are flimsy, bend easily, and shed rounds, and TK's are wicked expensive. I tried RIMZ and they work great, at least with Starline brass. S&B, and PPU brass (and maybe others) can collapse the center of the clip (they are flexible) making the moon clips impossible to load into the cylinder. However, that is a brass problem not a moonclip problem. One person that I shoot ICORE with uses only RIMZ in his S&W 646. I ended up using Ranch Moonclips; they are steel, cheap, and much sturdier than Ruger's But I have only good things to say about RIMZ - at least with Starline brass.

Edited by CtYankee

On 4/20/2021 at 11:50 AM, regor said:

Saw a comment in another thread recently that mentioned polymer moons and it peaked my interest. Who all has tried these and what are your thoughts on them? Do they hold up to long term use? 

https://www.ezmoonclip.com/Rimz 929.htm

RIMZ moonclips are awesome. No tools are needed to load and unload and they never seem to wear out. Obviously they do not work with magnetic holders. All the post holders work well with them. 

They sent me a 646 sample to try out with my .40 Rhino. It worked, but was far too tight to be useful in a competition application. I use it to carry a reload for my defensive revolver instead - it's great for that, as rounds are unlikely to get knocked loose than with a metal clip. They seem very well-made.

19 minutes ago, Tommygunz said:

I’v been using RIMZ for matches for better than 2 years and have never had a problem.  Easy to load and unload, forgiving of being stepped on or kicked on hard surfaces and flawless reliability!

I’ve been using RIMZ for 2+ decades. Mostly for the 625 and 25 platforms (45ACP). The 610 is the bomb just a perfect clip, lots of my friends have the 610. Wish Scott had them for the 627. I’ve moved to the magnetic carrier and use steel moons for the 8 shot. I completely agree with you as the bottom feeders will definitely step on your moons. They bounce back nicely.

9 hours ago, rwmagnus said:

Wish Scott had them for the 627

Looking at the way they're designed, wrapping up around the case head a bit, I wonder if that's why they don't exist for rimmed cartridges?

You can cheat a bit on a rimless moon's thickness (i.e., stiffness, in polymer), as long as you keep the bulk of the moon lower than the head of the case, but a moon for a rimmed cartridge pretty much has to fit between the rim and the cylinder where it counts.

Edited by Fishbreath

I can give you my experience with Rimz. I bought a set of 10 when I got my 929. I don't use them for USPSA type stuff but they work fine for SC standing reloads. I use mine almost exclusively for practice mainly because I load all my moons for whatever match I am shooting. Don't like to load during a match. (Because I am usually ROing etc)

Now to their effectiveness:

I shot 25K rounds in the 929 my 1st calendar year. Probably about 23K to 24K in practice. The Rimz were still going strong. I also used them some for dry fire too. 

The 2nd year after about 5K a couple of them were worn out so they would drop a round now and then. I kept using the remainder till I was down to about 5 and then ordered 10 more. I sent a note to the owner telling him how well they work. I shot about 20K through then the 2nd year. (Plus dry fire)

The kicker was that the guy sent me 15! 

If anybody wants a free trial, PM me and I will send you 1 to put in your rotation and check it out.

Probably one of the BEST things I have bought for this gun game!

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

I can give you my experience with Rimz. I bought a set of 10 when I got my 929. I don't use them for USPSA type stuff but they work fine for SC standing reloads. I use mine almost exclusively for practice mainly because I load all my moons for whatever match I am shooting. Don't like to load during a match. (Because I am usually ROing etc)

I shot 25K rounds in the 929 my 1st calendar year. Probably about 23K to 24K in practice. The Rimz were still going strong. I also used them some for dry fire too. 

The 2nd year after about 5K a couple of them were worn out so they would drop a round now and then. I kept using the remainder till I was down to about 5 and then ordered 10 more. I sent a note to the owner telling him how well they work. I shot about 20K through then the 2nd year. (Plus dry fire)

If anybody wants a free trial, PM me and I will send you 1 to put in your rotation and check it out.

I take it they're easier to load and unload than steel clips right.

Good plan.

I really appreciate all of the responses on this. Pretty sure this thread doubles the available information on these in the wild (at least that I can find)! 

For those with match experience with them, have you found that they are picky with brass, i.e. you still sort by headstamp with them, or do they take random range brass just fine? 

5 minutes ago, regor said:

I really appreciate all of the responses on this. Pretty sure this thread doubles the available information on these in the wild (at least that I can find)! 

For those with match experience with them, have you found that they are picky with brass, i.e. you still sort by headstamp with them, or do they take random range brass just fine? 

I found them to be about as tolerant as metal moons. Some brass fit in/out better than others, but .40 is notoriously variable.

7 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Why don't you use them for USPSA?

I’ve shot them in ICORE and USPSA matches as well as practice. They are very tough clips to wear out. My experience with 625 clips when they do wear out they usually split in the half moon. I’ve never tracked how many rounds it took but it’s a lot. 

Bottom line is they are great for both practice and matches. Just buy some and run them through their paces. I think customer satisfaction is very high. 

5 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Why don't you use them for USPSA?

I use magnetic moon clip holders. I can never seem to get the polymer to stick to the stupid magnets! Go figure. I have this vision of reaching for a moon that is lying on the ground where it fell off! As I run to the next box. LOL. That would be something to see.

I think a moon clip server would be great with them. I don't have one though.

12 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I use magnetic moon clip holders. I can never seem to get the polymer to stick to the stupid magnets! Go figure. I have this vision of reaching for a moon that is lying on the ground where it fell off! As I run to the next box. LOL. That would be something to see.

I think a moon clip server would be great with them. I don't have one though.

North Mountain to the rescue!  Don't need the "High Tech" Magnets 🤣🤣, only in Revolver can a Magnet be High Tech!  I love it.

For practice I may have to try some though.

6 hours ago, pskys2 said:

North Mountain to the rescue!  Don't need the "High Tech" Magnets 🤣🤣, only in Revolver can a Magnet be High Tech!  I love it.

For practice I may have to try some though.

PM me. I will be glad to send you one.

On 4/22/2021 at 6:09 PM, matteekay said:

They sent me a 646 sample to try out with my .40 Rhino. It worked, but was far too tight to be useful in a competition application. I use it to carry a reload for my defensive revolver instead - it's great for that, as rounds are unlikely to get knocked loose than with a metal clip. They seem very well-made.

With my GP100 10mm I've found that Starline brass works just fine, but S&B, PPU and some others don't. The casehead groove might be slightly larger and collapsing the center hole. So, like all moonclips, some ammo works better than others.

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

PM me. I will be glad to send you one.

Appreciate the offer, but I'll get a pack and check them out.  They definitely won't go to waste!

Besides don't have a 9mm, just a 625 and 2-627's.

On 4/22/2021 at 6:09 PM, matteekay said:

What ammunition are you using? As I said in my previous post: different cases make a difference. Starline and Federal cases slide in and out very easily in my GP100, other cases (PPU, S&B, A MERC, and other range scrounged cases cause the moonclips to collapse in the center and not load.

5 minutes ago, CtYankee said:

What ammunition are you using? As I said in my previous post: different cases make a difference. Starline and Federal cases slide in and out very easily in my GP100, other cases (PPU, S&B, A MERC, and other range scrounged cases cause the moonclips to collapse in the center and not load.

All Starline. The diameter of the Rhino's charge holes is just a hair bigger, causing the moons to freeze.

Edited by matteekay