Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm copper jacketed

gunner40sw

• 1 month later...

Update on this thread. I ordered 10k bullets from Zero a month ago - fully expecting to wait at least six months for my order, given the earlier comments on this thread. But I got a call yesterday, saying the order is ready to ship.

Not to side track but.... what's the difference in shooting copper plated vs. Brass plated? I find the brass more often in stock. Just getting into reloading in general and have a new open gun I want to get a load worked up for. 

On 4/28/2021 at 4:32 AM, Sarge said:

Ordered from PD yesterday. Had to settle for 124 JHP. I’ll hopefully be able to trade them for 115’s

Im happy to take the 124s off your hands if you need to offload them.  

8 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

Im happy to take the 124s off your hands if you need to offload them.  

Only interested in trades for 115 JHP PD or MG.

13 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Not to side track but.... what's the difference in shooting copper plated vs. Brass plated? I find the brass more often in stock. Just getting into reloading in general and have a new open gun I want to get a load worked up for. 

I think you may be getting the processes confused. With copper plated, a lead bullet is electroplated with copper to fully encapsulate the bullet. A FMJ is a copper or brass jacket that is drawn out and a lead core is pressed into, formed, then crimped leaving lead exposed at the base or rear. Some companies (MG) insert a gas check in the rear to make a TMJ bullet, covering up the lead. Exposed lead at the base melts slightly giving off lead vapor that can crud up your compensator. This is why most shoot JHP in comp’s. I am unaware of anyone who makes a Brass Plated bullet, only Brass jacketed. Maybe someone will chime in if someone does make one. Hope this helps 

Edited by Farmer
Added

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 1:26 PM, Farmer said:

I think you may be getting the processes confused. With copper plated, a lead bullet is electroplated with copper to fully encapsulate the bullet. A FMJ is a copper or brass jacket that is drawn out and a lead core is pressed into, formed, then crimped leaving lead exposed at the base or rear. Some companies (MG) insert a gas check in the rear to make a TMJ bullet, covering up the lead. Exposed lead at the base melts slightly giving off lead vapor that can crud up your compensator. This is why most shoot JHP in comp’s. I am unaware of anyone who makes a Brass Plated bullet, only Brass jacketed. Maybe someone will chime in if someone does make one. Hope this helps 

Ahh yeah it does. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Out of curiosity, why does JHP seem to be the most accurate bullet type? Pretty much all of the PPC/bullseye loads use JHP

More uniform base that is often concave.