Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Hill Tactical holster impressions?

Obvious

23 hours ago, rooster said:

Owned 2, not very impressed. Sold 1 still have the other. Fits a G17 if anybody wants it message me. Fit was rather sloppy. GX blows RH away.

Yes my GXP fit and finish is way nicer than the Red Hill I had.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve never owned one, but that’s because I saw my buddies RHT holster for a Stock 2 and it had a really weird fit.

There are so many options that offer vacuum formed, CNC billet mold, dual layer Kydex holsters nowadays that I’d be hard pressed to consider a foam pressed (my personal opinion from the lack of definition) holster with a long lead time.

Currently using a holster from a small shop, great build quality, and short lead time.

F299ED91-66DD-46C4-91D6-0946E6F66278.jpeg

BF4F91E9-E6CE-4316-A2F1-5E14F10CAB3B.jpeg

47CE93AF-9004-4677-BE57-878CEA617A7D.jpeg

8 hours ago, tt350z said:

I’ve never owned one, but that’s because I saw my buddies RHT holster for a Stock 2 and it had a really weird fit.

There are so many options that offer vacuum formed, CNC billet mold, dual layer Kydex holsters nowadays that I’d be hard pressed to consider a foam pressed (my personal opinion from the lack of definition) holster with a long lead time.

Currently using a holster from a small shop, great build quality, and short lead time.

F299ED91-66DD-46C4-91D6-0946E6F66278.jpeg

BF4F91E9-E6CE-4316-A2F1-5E14F10CAB3B.jpeg

47CE93AF-9004-4677-BE57-878CEA617A7D.jpeg

Who makes those?

I just received my holster body for a canik tp9sfx with an x300.  The fit seems fine- I don't think you can make a pistol with a light that big still click into place around the trigger guard.  All the edges were smoothed nicely.  Seems tough.  I think it will work just fine for me.  

Here's my RHT SP-01 holster (left) versus my GX Vice holster for a Shadow 2 (right). Keep in mind this is the better of my two RHT holsters; I had to work on my Red Hill Tactical Glock holster with dremel and file to even get the gun to fit. The GX holster fits much better, and much more care was taken to shape and polish the exterior, not to mention the retention clamp that is reason alone to go with GX. 

IMG_5268.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was very disappointed in the fit of one I had built in 2018 for a SIG X-five.  Loose to the point of being hazardous, even when completely cranked down.  Absolutely zero retention.

It’s one thing to get a holster that runs tight- easy to fix- but a super-loose one is more of a challenge to solve, especially double Kydex.

Now, I run a PHLster Floodlight OWB with an X300 on a VP9L for steel CO, and that holster works really well.

I know a few people who like their RHT holsters, but I have a tendency not to give second chances to companies that do a shoddy job the first time.

I have three, and I think I fall somewhere in the middle compared to the other opinions voiced here. All three examples I have feature good retention. Having said that, I have friends with RHT holsters that are borderline dangerously loose (such as a 1911 that can pivot forward and backward about 30 degrees from center even when the tension screws are tight). I think the reason to choose a RHT over another manufacturer is the level of customization available for a relatively low cost in an acceptable amount of time. If you're using a common gun that the big companies make kydex/plastic for (Bladetech, Blackhawk, CompTac, etc) then you can spend less and get the product faster by going with one of those. I just have a bunch of oddball stuff :) .

Full-rail 1911 in white Kryptek over pink kydex:

51407660297_81b432221d_b.jpg

Full rail 1911 with an X300u (don't ask about the mag release...):

51409167259_8dd98f4b38_b.jpg

Grand Power K100 with suppressor sights (this one has the best molding and the best fit out of all of them; it's also the one that no one else makes holsters for): 

51408410881_078aff0df7_b.jpg

I have a very bad experience with RHT holsters, the first one I got came with the gun, it was for an STI Edge, the holster was very loose, after try the adjustments, the holster still very loose to the point of no retention, I thought it was because the holster was a second hand one. 

Then I ordered an other one for my Tanfoglio CO gun, this holster came last weekend, WOW this one is worse, the gun holstered is in a weird angle, pivoting on the trigger guard, like something was pushing it to the front of the holster, again try to adjust the retention with the screws but nothing,

I sent it back today for a refund and will try GX vice. 

I know some guys at the range that love their RHT but I have no luck with them,  their customer support is really bad. 🤷‍♂️

Had mine about 2 months now.  I have seen better finish and had better fit on Kydex before.    Not bad, IMO, but not exceptional.   Mine functions fine once I got the tension dialed in.  I tend to get a little outward (away from body) flip when I draw that wasn’t there with the comp-Tac holster it replaced.  I need to take a look at the hanger and see if I can determine why.  

overall, I think it is fine.   Not sure it is 2x as good as my $70 Comp-Tac but it costs twice as much with a BOSS hanger.   In fairness, it is double walled, a lot stiffer and will probably outlast my gun and me for that matter.

I need another holster for a sig I am trying out and think I will go GX.   

• 6 months later...

I just got an RHT holster last week for my Beretta LTT. Pretty disappointing for a $85 holster. Took a fair amount of dremel work to get it to fit properly as well as a good debur and polish on all the edges. 
id rather have a Comptac international 

10 minutes ago, jpm2953 said:

I just got an RHT holster last week for my Beretta LTT. Pretty disappointing for a $85 holster. Took a fair amount of dremel work to get it to fit properly as well as a good debur and polish on all the edges. 

Yeah, it took me an hour with dremel and files before my ordinary-height adjustable Dawson sights would clear the sight-channel. Had to file all the way through one of the Kydex layers. The owner of RHT rudely told me that it was my fault for not specifying "suppressor-height" sights. I don't know how that clown show is still in business.

As I stated before I hate kydex holsters with a passion but being extremely limited to what holsters are available for a A01LD and needing it sooner then 5+ months I went with RHT. Both GX and RHT have sent me great and not so great fitting holsters so it simply ce down to how quickly I could get it. I really wanted a leather one but it would have been almost a year wait. I looked all over every site I could find and almost nobody makes a holster for the A01 let alone a left handed one. I think all in with some cool looking outer color and DLC coated adjustment screws it was like $100. And under 30 days. GX was God knows how long so it was out.

My double layer RHT holster, made for a Glock 17, has worked very well over the past 5+ years and still looks, fits, and works great.  It's seen hard use at many USPSA matches, pistol classes, and regular dryfire and range training.  I know many other shooters who have had similar good experiences with their holsters.

When I got mine 5+ years ago, I believe the owner of RHT was making all the holsters.  Based on all the more recent negative comments and problems it sounds  like maybe the company has grown to the point where customer service and quality control have become hit or miss.  Always sad when this happens to good companies, hope to see them get things back on track.  They do a good job at supporting the sport and have the ability to produce high quality products when they are on top of their game.

18 minutes ago, ShredderTactical said:

When I got mine 5+ years ago, I believe the owner of RHT was making all the holsters.  Based on all the more recent negative comments and problems it sounds  like maybe the company has grown to the point where customer service and quality control have become hit or miss.  Always sad when this happens to good companies, hope to see them get things back on track.  They do a good job at supporting the sport and have the ability to produce high quality products when they are on top of their game.

The terrible customer service I mentioned was directly from the owner. He made a holster that didn't fit standard height adjustable Glock sights and said it was my fault for not ordering "suppressor-height". He was condescending and rude and I will never buy from that place again. GX holsters are vastly superior in quality and service. 

18 hours ago, slowhands said:

The terrible customer service I mentioned was directly from the owner. He made a holster that didn't fit standard height adjustable Glock sights and said it was my fault for not ordering "suppressor-height". He was condescending and rude and I will never buy from that place again. GX holsters are vastly superior in quality and service. 

There is absolutely NO way GX is superior in service to almost any company. You can't even get ahold of him almost ever. At least with RHT I can get ahold of them. 

19 hours ago, slowhands said:

So, we are getting into the customer service issues area that normally get a thread locked.  I will defend Robert here by saying he's a full time Assistant Principal for his primary job.  The holster business is his 2nd gig.  Maybe cut him a little slack.