Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG Stock 1 turd polish?

IHAVEGAS

Seems like this one is going to end up ok.

With a PD barrel fit by their gunsmiths the slide feels tighter fit to the frame than the slides on my other Tanfo's. It is not, putting the oem barrel back in or just playing with the barrel out allows you to feel the slide to frame slop.

If you very gently ease the slide closed it will stop as shown. 

829286787_IMG_20210623_090008334copy.thumb.jpg.2b4371533f8dd517bcbded62a782b94c.jpg

On the first range trip I ran the first 10 rounds through it ok and after that I had two or three FTF's on every loaded to 10 round magazine. I also was disappointed with accuracy. Not fun. 

Replaced the recoil spring I had been using (9lb I think) with the oem recoil spring. Tried it again today, shot only about 50 rounds, no ftf, accuracy seemed like it will be fine for USPSA/IDPA with a little sorting out of what it wants to shoot and a bit more break in. I use 20 yard head shots as my accuracy gauge, if I can get 10 for 10 freehand (when I don't screw up) I call that good. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

• 4 weeks later...

Glad they were able to fix this. What was ballpark cost without shipping?

I was interested in a barrel, but all my Tanfoglio slides use standard barrels. No stock at PD. 

But except for the 22 conversion Witness the slides and barrel lockup are all tight. Thought the Limited Pro had a little barrel movement but was either very strong that day or confused. 

Still wanted them to fit a new barrel to the gun.

19 hours ago, Endall said:

What was ballpark cost without shipping?

Somewhere around $375 if they do the work I think. 

Note, the ammo that is accurate and feeds reliably with your old barrel may not be best for the PD barrel. 

My nickel. I would never buy another new Tanfo sight unseen, unless I had someone I trusted examine it before committing to the deal. This gun and a stock 2 40 caliber of mine were both apparently Monday morning manufactured, should have learned the lesson the first time. 

I am about 25% on new models. First purchase was a Witness 22LR/9mm Combo. Do not laugh, saw at a gun show and had to have it.

Honeymoon was brief. Tried to disassemble. Mag was stuck. Tried to remove and depress release. Took back to the LGS. Was told they are stiff. After 5 minutes counter guy said they would handle shipping back to EAA. Was told they polished the inside of grip at EAA. Assume they fixed the release.

Been zero percent on parts orders from EAA.  Ordered a 9mm slide for a Match Elite.  Was in for a surprise when it showed up. Guide rod protruded a 1/4” past the end of the slide. Took a Herculean effort to remove. Even harder to reinstall.

Pulled guide rod from 10mm slide and it fit perfectly. Reinstalled long guide rod. Took pictures of it sticking proud of slide. Pics of the two slides side by side. Pics of the two guide rods side by side. One was 1/4 inch longer.

Sent pics and explanation of issue to EAA. And started calling. Finally got email response. Was told the long guide rod was from another brand of gun. Tanfoglio only made one length guide rod. My mistake mixing up the guide rods. 

Kept calling and finally got a lady. She gave phone to a man and he gruffly said to ship entire slide back. My nickel. Showed back up with the correct guide rod.

Ordered a 9mm barrel for a Limited Pro years later. Six months later a 4 1/2” barrel showed up. Think for a Witness. 

Took pics and sent. Was told I needed a real gunsmith to fit to slide. Tried again and was told best solution was to sell barrel. And to order the correct barrel for Limited Pro. But none in stock.

Tried to sell it to PD. They looked at it like it has leprosy. 

I think EAA and Tanfoglio are a match made in heaven.

36 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Sell it on gunbroker and lose $50-100 rather than dump more money than that into it which may or may not fix it. 

If I could make myself pass along a problem to another enthusiast I would have done that - seems to be what happens based on me buying two (did I mention I'm an idiot?) turds that way. 

8 hours ago, waktasz said:

Negative. They each carry their own line of Tanfoglio stuff. The Defiant lineup is IFG and Witness is EAA

Both seem to be limited availability right now. But the Witness seem to be gone.

Maybe I have not looked in the right places. Been wanting a Hunter. Wish I had grabbed one when available.