Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Gnawing on My Hand

LmtdOne

Have any of you guys had issues with your 2011 Slide biting your hand? If so, how did you fix the problem? Were you able to fix the problem? I have recently switched from a CZ/Tanfo platform where you can grip just about as high as you want and am having a tough time adapting. I was looking at possibly a shielded safety but after talking to Infinity, they aren't sure that will help.  Maybe a different grip other than the svi signature grip might help? Let me know what you guys think.

20210412_215208_resized_2.jpg

20210412_215224_resized_2.jpg

The slide is hitting my first knuckle on the my right hand, right close to the web of my hand when the slide comes back. My thumb is not resting against the side of the slide as it reciprocates. I hope this clarifies further. That is why SVI didn't think shielded safeties would help.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I solve that problem by deepening the beavertail with a vertical belt sander.  I get higher and more forward and everything is protected.

That is what I was thinking I might have to do. I just hate the idea of doing something like that to my gun because I don't believe I could get it blended back out correctly.

6 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, "jcc7x7" has the answer that may help you. An Ed Brown safety that does not have the cut aways at the top may push your thumb out far enough. Thanks, Eric

I may have to look into this option. I assume there would be some blending involved still.

1 hour ago, LmtdOne said:

That is what I was thinking I might have to do. I just hate the idea of doing something like that to my gun because I don't believe I could get it blended back out correctly.

Your GS, frame and grip should already be blended.  All you have to do is deepen and feather.  You can do it with strips of sandpaper if you prefer, but it will take some time.

As you go deeper your hand is moved forward and the angle your thumb makes riding the safety is decreased.  In effect your knuckle is placed lower so the slide won't hit it.  You can also try riding the safety at the outer edge.

This started happening to me randomly. I guess i shifted my grip just enough to get chewed in by the slide.

I just tape my thumb as a precaution. I have pt shielded safeties, but if you have meaty hands and the stars align, it's still going to bite.

Edited by lroy

I have been putting a bandaid over my thumb to preemptively protect it. This has worked well for me. A fellow 2011 shooter showed me his gun with extra wide safeties installed. I think those will allow me to rest my thumb wider from the slide and help quite a bit. I am going to try those next.

7 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

How are you getting away with the ambi safety’s not digging into your right hand?  I ground mine down and will stick to left side only on my future guns.

I am not sure. Perhaps just the way my hands are built? I have no issues with the safety on the right side currently.