Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Revolver Division?

pskys2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why we can't just leave Open as the experimental division.  All of Carry Optics and "Open Revolver"  can play in Open.  Open was designed to be the experimental division with few limits.

I had always thought we were in the process of getting rid of divisions (e.g., L-10) but instead, we have more than ever.

Edited by twodownzero

• 1 month later...

I would think it be easy for scoring programmers to add sub designated adds to Open and then move Co and Rev Optics all in one division.

scoring would be Open, Carry Optics and Revolver Optics.

That way you could still see where you stand after a Match.

Edited by GmanCdp

4 hours ago, Toolguy said:

At least they could let revos with optics play in Carry Optics. The autos would still have the ammo capacity advantage, but the revos wouldn't be up against 28 round mags.

I've barked up this tree a few times to no avail. The prevailing notion amongst shooters (and seemingly the BOD) at the moment is "revolver is lucky it's still a division".

On 9/12/2021 at 2:56 PM, twodownzero said:

I don't understand why we can't just leave Open as the experimental division.  All of Carry Optics and "Open Revolver"  can play in Open.  Open was designed to be the experimental division with few limits.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by SGT_Schultz

11 hours ago, Toolguy said:

At least they could let revos with optics play in Carry Optics. The autos would still have the ammo capacity advantage, but the revos wouldn't be up against 28 round mags.

Will it really make much difference to be in CO vs Open?

But I also don't see how it would hurt to allow them. What are we talking about 2-3 people anyway? 

While I have been an advocate of running a dot on a revolver ( I’ve used my 929 in that config for SC ) I doubt there would be much interest in CO today. Initially CO had started as a 10rnd division and it drove only minimal participation until the mag capacity increased, then it exploded to what we see today.  Allowing an 8 shot revo to run under the 10rnd rule may have gained a little interest but there is little chance it would under current mag rules.  So,  run open and enjoy it knowing your competing against your own performance…

2-3, probably.  My wife is now an open open shooter.  She shot her open 929 in ipsc for a few years until very recently. She tried my open 2011 baster and that was it.  She got one of her own.  I only shot 1 icore match this year and it's definitely a game where the dot is huge!

3 hours ago, NoSteel said:

While I have been an advocate of running a dot on a revolver ( I’ve used my 929 in that config for SC ) I doubt there would be much interest in CO today. Initially CO had started as a 10rnd division and it drove only minimal participation until the mag capacity increased, then it exploded to what we see today.  Allowing an 8 shot revo to run under the 10rnd rule may have gained a little interest but there is little chance it would under current mag rules.  So,  run open and enjoy it knowing your competing against your own performance…

Yeah, to be fair, I was trying to champion the idea back under the old rules. For me, it was less about "this will be huge!" and more like "it's a very minor rulebook change and I know at least a few ICORE shooters who would probably come play." I've given up on it but I do think it's less ridiculous than some of the Single Stack limitations... or the entire Production appendix... 

5 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Will it really make much difference to be in CO vs Open?

But I also don't see how it would hurt to allow them. What are we talking about 2-3 people anyway? 

You are correct, looking at the scores there's not a lot of difference in the top tier at least between CO & Open.  Now as we go lower in classification I'm sure there would be those who benefit more from one or the other.  But the difference between an optic sighted Revolver and a Shadow CO or a 2011 Open is probably not worth mentioning.

• 1 year later...
37 minutes ago, dannyd said:

So, my understanding is you can use a revolver with a Red Dot in the Open Division?

Yes, Bob "chairman of the board" Border does it all the time.

Edited by ysrracer