Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring life on X5

Blue Jacket

I have 30k rounds in my X5 and 15k in X5 Legion. Both hold up just fine. (Amazingly I have absolute ZERO stoppage in both pistols from day 0.)

The little striker reset spring inside the striker assembly will deform and look bad pretty quickly though -- I would say 6-8k rounds. It is $5 to replace if you don't want to replace the entire striker assembly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 10:36 AM, Sorpe said:

I replace mine every 10,000 rounds. By that point they are about two coils shorter than a new one. I use a 12 lb 1911 spring.

Same here. I replace my practice/local match gun at every 10K. 

• 2 weeks later...

I replace the recoil spring at the beginning of the season and mid way. Gun runs 128pf exclusively. I find it starts to not go into battery fully about mid season. Average ammo is around 10k a year. 1911 IMSI 14LB spring. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, could I just jump into this thread...It was mentioned that regular 1911 recoil springs can be used to replace the x5 legion recoil spring. When replacing, which end goes where? On a 2011, the open end of the recoil spring goes to the front. Is it the same with the Sig? I got my new x5 legion and the open end of the spring was towards the rear though.

5 hours ago, jimbullet said:

Hi, could I just jump into this thread...It was mentioned that regular 1911 recoil springs can be used to replace the x5 legion recoil spring. When replacing, which end goes where? On a 2011, the open end of the recoil spring goes to the front. Is it the same with the Sig? I got my new x5 legion and the open end of the spring was towards the rear though.

Open end towards the muzzle. 

12 hours ago, WaltK said:

Open end towards the muzzle. 

On a 1911 maybe. On the p320 it’s open end towards the chamber, and while you can install it either way, it’s much easier to install  with the open end on the guide rod facing the chamber. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

On a 1911 maybe. On the p320 it’s open end towards the chamber, and while you can install it either way, it’s much easier to install  with the open end on the guide rod facing the chamber. 

so its okay this way even on a variable recoil spring like wollf or ismi?

7 hours ago, jimbullet said:

I tested 1911 springs and used 1911 wolff variable and others that seemed to work fine. I settled on a Spirnco 12lber.

8 hours ago, jimbullet said:

Spring orientation makes no difference on performance, just ease of install.